• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What color is my '73 R60/5

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

Lew was kind enough to send a link to Phil Hawksley's website on BMW paint colors.

It looks to me like mine is Bronco Metallic Brown. The seat is a Denfield? and was recovered - I haven't seen any paint code under the seat or anywhere else. I've tried to find out if this was a standard color in 1973 but from what I can see, the paint is original.

There are some pretty noticeable scratches on the tank but the paint on the fenders are in very good condition. Not sure I'll paint just the tank because it will be hard to match the color on the fenders but am thinking about it or maybe getting some touch up paint for the deep scratches.

If you know the paint code, please let me know.

Attachments

• R60 Tank.jpg
    R60 Tank.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 257
Lew is correct- no browns until the /7 era. They did use the Curry (gold) on /6 and i believe on later /5s, but nothing that dark in the early 70s.
make it whatever color you like. it's like an ex-virgin... can't make it original, no matter what you do.

There's Snowbum's paint code list:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

He lists the paint code 511 as Havana Gold but not really gold but more like s4!t brown as he says!! Use was R90/6 to R100/7.

I thought a friend here in San Antonio had an R75/6 that was brown...haven't seen it or him in a long time.

definitely not a virgin . . . thinking about painting her back to one of the original colors - took tank to a PPG paint outlet - this guy is really good - showed him the tank and asked about touching some deep scratches on top of tank - he suggests re-painting the tank - while he said the mystery brown color was a good paint job, it's not the original color.

if i go in that direction, might as well make her period correct. thinking she may have been black - is there a way to find out with the Vin #? I've looked at images of R60/5's and from what I see they either had the knee pads or toaster panels - mine is a solid metal tank.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

The tank needs repainting - on a suggestion from Holt BMW I picked up a bottle of Mocha nail polish at Walgreens - got a few stares walking in with my gas tank!

Not happy with results as too many deep & long scratches on tank - the fenders cleaned up nicely - didn't realize BMW was making plastic fenders in the early 70's

Will meet with a painter & discuss matching existing paint to repaint just the tank only if he can make tank look like fenders - the good news is the paint isn't faded - my wife likes the brown but am inclined to paint all black using the BMW black & finishing with white pinstripes.

Just hate to erase the nice paint & gold pinstriping job on fenders but on the other hand it's kinda like painting the walls another color - just a taste preference.

Wasn't there a paint code sticker on the fender or seat bottom - and factory painters initials left on the bottom of the tank?

-Mike V.

Brown on 1976 R75/6

here is a stock brown on a 1976 R75 I am cleaning up. Pin stripping is gold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 88
I had a 73-1/2 R75/5 blue (white pin strips) toaster tank, and a 77 R100/7 which was a very dark brown (almost black but metallic) with gold pin stripping.

Most of the toaster tanks were black with a few blues. I don't remember other colors that were toaster tanks, but maybe they existed. I do remember large tanks that were white and a darker red.

I do remember a brown that was the color you posted. I don't remember whether it was a /5, /6, or /7. I think it had white pin stripping. But, I could be wrong. I also do not think that the paint you posted is original. But, I tend to believe that color was used on a /6 or /7. I remember that I very much disliked this color. I remember it because if I had to repaint my 77 R100/7 I wanted to make sure I got the dark brown instead of the color you posted.

If I remember correctly, when the /5 were pin stripped the person would put their initials on the rear fender. I remember it was hard to find the initials. You might want to remove the fender and see if you can find initials.

If I were to repaint a toaster tank, I would repaint it black if I could not figure out the original color. To get touch up paint, your PPG dealer might be your best choice.

It was so long ago, so some of my facts may not be total correct.

Back