Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent exhaust headers from turning blue?

How to prevent exhaust headers from turning blue?

I've obtained a set of NOS exhaust headers and crossover pipes for my '83 R65. I know airheads have a reputation for turning these blue in a short time, but wonder if any of you folks have any hints (other than not running the bike) for keeping them shiny.
    I can't help growing older, but I refuse to grow up!
    -Larry
    1983 R65

All of the stock pipes turn blue. Repop stainless pipes turn golden brown. You can polish them with Blue Away or polish them more with Mother's or Simichrome polish and get rid of it, but it will come right back. BMW pipes are single walled. The pipes that don't blue are double walled. There are ceramic coatings available that may prevent bluing.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Darryl about covered it. Either get them ceramic coated or just put them out of your mind. You will go looney trying to keep them shined.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

You might want to check this stuff out. I've never tried it, but am considering when I get a new exhaust system.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76214

53-1202KREEMBluShield.jpg

"An internal exhaust pipe coating that shields against pipe blueing on properly tuned engines – 16 fl. oz. (1 pint)

Blue Shield is an internal exhaust pipe sealant that is designed to prevent ‘pipe blueing’ on properly tuned motors.
    Since ‘pipe blueing’ is caused by excessive heat it may still occur if an engine is not in proper tune or if the carburetor
    is jetted too lean.

Slight blueing or discoloration may occur on pipes with extremely sharp bends coming from heads.
    "
    Last edited by nevadaslim; 02-22-2015 at 01:00 PM.

I'm no help here, but I've always kind of liked that blued look.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ditto, although I prefer a proper stainless steel gold. The M4 exhaust on my Honda 650 Hawk was as good as it gets.
    61 Gold Star, 76 R90S, 03 CBR600RR, '13 690 Duke, '14 Street Triple R

as my friend Owen says "that's what it looks like when you ride it!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by nevadaslim View Post
    You might want to check this stuff out. I've never tried it, but am considering when I get a new exhaust system.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76214

53-1202KREEMBluShield.jpg

"An internal exhaust pipe coating that shields against pipe blueing on properly tuned engines – 16 fl. oz. (1 pint)

Blue Shield is an internal exhaust pipe sealant that is designed to prevent ‘pipe blueing’ on properly tuned motors.
    Since ‘pipe blueing’ is caused by excessive heat it may still occur if an engine is not in proper tune or if the carburetor
    is jetted too lean.

Slight blueing or discoloration may occur on pipes with extremely sharp bends coming from heads.
    "
    I truly hate to burst their marketing bubble but BMW single walled pipes will blue - period - at normal operating temperatures and there is no way to keep them cool enough to prevent it in normal operation of the motorcycle.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ccolwell View Post
    Ditto, although I prefer a proper stainless steel gold. The M4 exhaust on my Honda 650 Hawk was as good as it gets.
    If you have enough cubic feet of dollars you can probably get an all stainless exhaust for an Airhead. I haven't looked in the past 20 years so don't really know who is making what now days.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Shields; they don't stop the headers from turning blue, but a least you won't see it. Krauser made them for both the header and the silencers. NLA, but you can often find them on fleabag.

Krauser shields.jpg

Of course, those band clamps aren't going to be too friendly to the chrome underneath.... ..
    Personally, I'm just going to re-new the high temp paint on mine
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

If your running a newer airhead, /7 to the end with the single sided swing arm, they have the smaller exhaust nut holding the head pipe to the head. Remove it and install the larger /6 exhaust nut. It might help dissapate more heat at the exhaust port of the head. Also, try not to idle for extended periods where air is not flowing over heads. The engine is air cooled. No air flow no cooling.more heat more bluing.

I hit my chrome about once a month with blue job, followed by or mixed with mothers chrome polish. It doesn't prevent the blueing but does remind me how pretty that chrome is periodically.

image.jpg
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

Back in the day, blue pipes were considered a badge of honor.

The Oriental bikes all had double-wall pipes to prevent this, but of course that added lots of weight. You can look all over the bikes of this generation and most have nearly iron pipe frames compared to BMW's thin oval tubing and glittery chrome metal fenders compared to BMW's fiberglass--which had to be painted and hand pinstriped.

I'll take light.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Be a nice guy and buy your riding partner a lower front fender. That will help with keeping her nice golden SS exhaust pipe, and many other bits, clean.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost