Thread: Horn and Bracket for the 1976 R75/6 Restoration Project

Horn and Bracket for the 1976 R75/6 Restoration Project

I have been making some excellent progress in the restoration of the R 75/6 that I bought 5 years ago. Plan to have it ready to feel the wind later this spring.

When I bought it it had a Vetter Fairing and a horn and bracket that didn't look right and now I am on the hunt to find a proper setup. Does anyone have a factory picture showing the horn and bracket that could be posted here so I know what I am in the hunt for. Have looked in the BMW parts book and they show two different part #'s and styles, but no bracket.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Rick -

I would say, if you have some time ( ), look at the rebuild sites/links in this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....es-with-Photos

looking specifically at the /6 ones. Sorry, there's no specifics about how detailed the threads are, but I think you can quickly go through them to see how relevant they might be to your needs. HTH...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Pictures of Horn and Bracket, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by b25bsaboy View Post
    I have been making some excellent progress in the restoration of the R 75/6 that I bought 5 years ago. Plan to have it ready to feel the wind later this spring.

When I bought it it had a Vetter Fairing and a horn and bracket that didn't look right and now I am on the hunt to find a proper setup. Does anyone have a factory picture showing the horn and bracket that could be posted here so I know what I am in the hunt for. Have looked in the BMW parts book and they show two different part #'s and styles, but no bracket.
    Rick,

You will find some good pictures of the bracket and horn here.

http://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyle-...trical-system/

I hope this helps.

Best.
    Brook
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1975 R75/6||1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    Rick,

You will find some good pictures of the bracket and horn here.

http://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyle-...trical-system/

I hope this helps.

Best.
    Brook
    Kurt and Brook,

Thank you for the response, as I had not the foggiest idea what the bracket looked like, as when I bought it the old girl she was wearing a Vetter fairing and the horn bracket was attached to the oil cooling fin housing. Saw some pictures on line and I believe they were from Brooks web page, but only saw where the horn hung. Took my metal working skills into the shop and found a flat piece of 1/8" X 1" flat bar and started my bends so it looked like what I saw. It was only after getting it fitted did I see the picture Brook posted after coming to the house from the shop after dinner. Guess mine was to fancy, but I wanted to make sure I cleared the front timing cover if I have to remove it.

The Hella horn is the one that was originally on the machine and I guess the next thing I have to do next is put a battery in her to see if she will even light up. This will be the first time around for me, but never thought twice when restoring Brits bikes. Will say a prayer when I turn the key on!

P1040552.jpg
    This is what it looked like prior to installing.

P1040553.jpg
    Looking at the horn from the right front.

P1040554.jpg
    Looking at it at the right rear.

Again, Thank you to the both of you for guiding me through the world of the Airhead Unknown.
    Rick MacPherson

horn mountin

Look at the hyperlink that Brook posted. There is a REASON that BMW used several thin pieces of a 'springy' metal, to mount the horn. Some models were a bit different.
    Besides the mount vibration help, the use of the stock type multiple thin pieces will make the horn considerably louder, than a home-made single thick piece of metal.
    BMW has used a couple types of that sort of mounting, with one type having the metal pieces somewhat separated. They all work OK.

Note that BMW has used various horns, and many look similar. Some have an adjustment, which may require a bit of touch-up as the horn gets old, wears, etc.
    The adjustment is for sound and current draw.

snowbum

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/

Quote Originally Posted by snowbum1 View Post
    Look at the hyperlink that Brook posted. There is a REASON that BMW used several thin pieces of a 'springy' metal, to mount the horn. Some models were a bit different.
    Besides the mount vibration help, the use of the stock type multiple thin pieces will make the horn considerably louder, than a home-made single thick piece of metal.
    BMW has used a couple types of that sort of mounting, with one type having the metal pieces somewhat separated. They all work OK.

Note that BMW has used various horns, and many look similar. Some have an adjustment, which may require a bit of touch-up as the horn gets old, wears, etc.
    The adjustment is for sound and current draw.

snowbum

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/
    I saw this response to myself awhile ago from Snowbum and really had to think about the comment.

Fast forward, I got a shipment in from Moto-Bins from the UK with two of the BMW small thin brackets. Couldn't wait to take the bracket I fabricated, put the new ones Moto-Bins sent and I jumped when I hit the horn button. The sound was very loud, clear and crisp in comparison to the farting sound I was getting before.

Thank you Snowbum!
    Rick MacPherson