• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn Signal Warning

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
Was out in the cage, at a traffic light, waiting for a safe time to make a right turn on a red signal. Gas station on the right, at the corner, with the usual entrance just on a bit.

I saw a slow moving car coming to the intersection, from the left, turn signal on, slowing, sure looked like it was going to turn at the intersection. I pulled out and made my turn, but checked the mirror and saw the car cross the intersection and turn into the service station, just behind me.

Could have been a problem, if the car had been going faster.

Many folks signal too early and it can lead to trouble. I believe the oncoming car should have not signaled until in the intersection to avoid giving a misleading message.

So, have care, as always.

There are laws (spelled out in your state's DMV Drivers' Handbook) that specify how far before a turn one should signal; but logic "should" preempt that...
I usually wait for them to PROVE it before I go...

There are laws (spelled out in your state's DMV Drivers' Handbook) that specify how far before a turn one should signal; but logic "should" preempt that...
I usually wait for them to PROVE it before I go...

State law regarding when to signal a turn - 300 feet or 200 feet in most states - work reasonably well on country roads. But as noted in the original post, they can fail miserably in an urban environment with 300 foot (or so) blocks and driveways between intersections.

Wait to make sure is a good rule.

Hmmm...I was just discussing this very thing with my son last night as we drove around town, (he's a 'permit' learner right now). I told him signaling too early can be just as bad as not signaling at all. He understood the concept. Also, it was an excellent time to tell him about not trusting a person's turn signals. We have all left them on by accident at least once!:blush

Was out in the cage, at a traffic light, waiting for a safe time to make a right turn on a red signal. Gas station on the right, at the corner, with the usual entrance just on a bit.

I saw a slow moving car coming to the intersection, from the left, turn signal on, slowing, sure looked like it was going to turn at the intersection. I pulled out and made my turn, but checked the mirror and saw the car cross the intersection and turn into the service station, just behind me.

Could have been a problem, if the car had been going faster.

Many folks signal too early and it can lead to trouble. I believe the oncoming car should have not signaled until in the intersection to avoid giving a misleading message.

So, have care, as always.

Good information. Thanks for posting.

In Wisconsin, you need to signal a mere 150 ft. prior to executing (ironic word choice) your maneuver.

But most drivers no longer bother with a signal - no enforcement for that is occuring, due to shortage of squads for traffic assignments here - they know that.

Ergo, I ignore any signals and learn to 'read' the approaching vehicle for indications (approach speed, braking, posturing, head/eye movement, etc.) that it might turn across my path, and adjust my status accordingly.

Be careful out there. :nono

Then there is the time you are sitting there waiting to make a left but there is a cage coming. You wait, and then all of a sudden, they put on their turn signal to turn right, when you could have made 3 turns waiting for them!
Ken

Good information. Thanks for posting.

In Wisconsin, you need to signal a mere 150 ft. prior to executing (ironic word choice) your maneuver.

But most drivers no longer bother with a signal - no enforcement for that is occuring, due to shortage of squads for traffic assignments here - they know that.

Ergo, I ignore any signals and learn to 'read' the approaching vehicle for indications (approach speed, braking, posturing, head/eye movement, etc.) that it might turn across my path, and adjust my status accordingly.

Be careful out there. :nono

Amen brother!

Other vehicles turn signals are (usually) a signal of their intention, but we need to look at the possibilities (gas station or next street) and assume the worst.

Don't know about you, but I've had to work on my own use of turn signals. Too often I've caught myself putting on the turn signal for a lane change as I was making it! Stupid! Signal for a couple seconds and make sure there isn't a vehicle about to occupy that space before you make the move.

Maybe it is where I live, but most motorists will give a person a brake (both spellings) when they signal for the lane change they should have made a half mile back. When I am the fool, I always acknowledge the courtesy if possible, and do my best to help others who find themselves in the wrong lane.

I suspect that "road courtesy" is every bit as contagious as "road rage."

Other vehicles turn signals are (usually) a signal of their intention, but we need to look at the possibilities (gas station or next street) and assume the worst.

Don't know about you, but I've had to work on my own use of turn signals. Too often I've caught myself putting on the turn signal for a lane change as I was making it! Stupid! Signal for a couple seconds and make sure there isn't a vehicle about to occupy that space before you make the move.

Maybe it is where I live, but most motorists will give a person a brake (both spellings) when they signal for the lane change they should have made a half mile back. When I am the fool, I always acknowledge the courtesy if possible, and do my best to help others who find themselves in the wrong lane.

I suspect that "road courtesy" is every bit as contagious as "road rage."

Two things about this thread:

First, good for you for acknowledging your own shortcomings, mistakes, whatever you want to call it. We all make mistakes and we should be both aware of them, and humble about it. Courtesy goes a LONG way in any situation. The world is lacking in courtesy now-a-days, so let's all SHOW folks what courtesy is, how it works, what it looks like. One thing about us humans is we ALL want to feel good about ourselves- when someone pays us a courtesy- no matter how small or seemingly insignificant- it does wonders for one's day. Pay it forward!

Secondly, Obviously the OP has the best of intentions here- I see this as his having made an assumption about what the signaling driver was going to do. Could have been ugly. Good for you for recognizing the assumption and the dangers of such. Thanks for passing this on to us. It sure never hurts to talk about stuff! Dialogue helps keep us aware of our own tendency to overlook what is sometimes so obvious in hindsight- letting us remember AGAIN that we need to see things as they happen.

As the number of roundabouts increase in and around Green Bay, I notice that a very high percentage of drivers use no signal getting onto or off the "ring". I must be one of the rare few that use a signal when exiting the ring. My bet is that as moer drivers get accustomed to roundabouts we'll have even more drivers making fewer signals.

Seems to use a signal, one must put the phone down...priorities ya know:banghead
My unoficial survey of who does/does not signal has a phone involved a LOT of the time with the latter...as mentioned ...use caution, especialy in the multi driveway urban environment!

turn signal

my advice passed on to me years ago,was trust knowone,treat every situation like the worst could happen as it probaly will,safe riding,Jimmy

The New York State law says you must signal continuously for 100 feet before the turn. Sometimes this will mean signaling and then passing a road or driveway before your turn. I now look at the turn signal as signaling only that a turn is planned, NOT WHERE it is going to be done. To know where, I have to watch the vehicle and especially the brake lights.
The real indisputable value of turn signals is that they say "look at me." They get your attention so that you will read their actions.
For myself, I very often coordinate turning on the signal with a road sign, such as an exit sign or a route turning arrow, to link the two within people's minds.

Back