• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Pressure Gauge

The pressure should vary as the tires heat up. That's a design feature
Regards
No kidding.:D My point was that the increments were in single digits, not that I was intrigued with the fact that tires warm up or that their psi increases as that occurs.:brow
I'll ad that I don't agree that "friction" is "a design feature", I'm(we all are) betting our collective lives on it being there when we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow
Regards !

Just a quick note on EZ gauges. This thread spurred me to grab a couple EZ gauges for Christmas gifts for motorcycling friends. The attached image shows the EZ Gauge I have - and what is shown on their site. This one works in most motorcycle applications.

Attachments

• EZ02.jpg
    EZ02.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 686
The attached is what I recieved in my order for 4 Christmas gifts. They've changed the head and added too much brass fitting to allow it to be used on the rear wheel of either of my BMWs.

I've emailed them to see what can be done about this problem.

Attachments

• EZ-Sent.jpg
    EZ-Sent.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 725
Aerostich-Dial Tire Guage

I purchased one of these jobbers from our friends at Aerostich on a whim. I've liked it so much that I've purchased one for both my father and father in law.

To Quote Aerostich "The 2.5" dial reads to 60 psi with a swivel angle chuck and an air release valve. Accurate, easy to read and inexpensive. Toss it into your kit or leave it by your daily gear out in the garage so it will be handy."

I like the swiveling head as well as the fact that it holds your pressure until you release it, making it easier to read.

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/tire-gauges/dial-tire-gauge.html

Great idea for a thread btw:

Attachments

• 4652_1ha_1.jpg
    4652_1ha_1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 679
As a simple air gauge, that, and many others work great. However, the purpose of carrying the EZ Gauge has always been to allow you to use to typical chuck found at the average gas station, truck stop or convenience store, such as the attached:

With the EZ Gauge, the design of the chuck and hose don't make any difference because once you clamp the EZ Gauge chuck to the valve stem, you then have a remote "valve stem" to fill through.

Attachments

• AU160.jpg
    AU160.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 642
+/- 1psi measured to what?

I don't understand your question. +/- 1 psi is a measure of accuracy.

Also, Slime markets (found mine in a WalMart) one of the smallest digital guages I've seen. I picked one up and it fits great in the RT fairing pocket.

Has anyone mentioned that (aside from reasonable accuracy and consistency) the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you don't lose air when trying to check tire air pressure? I like my under $5 pencil guage from Canadian Tire. It registers 5-50 lbs, has that very important feature, and when checked against a digital guage (more expensive and which has since died) it registered 1.5 lb high. Must check out my other guages on a truck tire. Throw out those that are way off or let out air, label the consistent ones for small adjustments.

For our bycicles I use a hand pump with a guage. Actually, that is what I use for the bike or vehicles which need a few pounds of pressure. Very accurate guage.

Good to have an accurate guage on the road, though frankly I've never had a problem with tires losing air. Only down 2-3 pounds after my bike sits idle for 5 months in the winter. No flats. Maybe I've just been lucky.

No kidding.:D My point was that the increments were in single digits, not that I was intrigued with the fact that tires warm up or that their psi increases as that occurs.:brow
I'll ad that I don't agree that "friction" is "a design feature", I'm(we all are) betting our collective lives on it being there when we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow
Regards !

Fine
I mis understood your question:scratch

Why are we all relying on"friction" to save our collective lives. ???
regards

The attached is what I recieved in my order for 4 Christmas gifts. They've changed the head and added too much brass fitting to allow it to be used on the rear wheel of either of my BMWs.

I've emailed them to see what can be done about this problem.
I've received the following reply from the maker of the EZ Gauge:

"Steve,
We changed the chuck design to accommodate a better chuck and seal. A majority of these units go towards automobile use. Regardless, I know firsthand how frustrating it is to check tire pressure on a motorcycle tire. I've seen clearances of no more than 3/4 of an inch with some of the disc brakes.

Regardless, this chuck change took place earlier this year. If you'd like the old chuck, which, judging by your email you would prefer, I'd be happy to send the old style chucks out to you with a new hose. Just send along your name and address, and confirm that you require three hoses and chucks, and I'll take care of it, to make sure these units work for you.

Thanks in advance, and have a great new year.

G.H. Meiser & Co."

Pretty good service.

After years (I don't know how many) of using a digital Gorilla brand gauge, this weekend, it decided that all the tires in the world have 0.0 lbs of pressure.

I still use the old style pencil gauge and am very happy with it. From what I understand, it is more important to use the same gauge each time than to worry if the gauge is analog or digital.

Back