• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Pressure Gauge

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
The thread on tire pumps made me think about asking what a good precision tire pressure gauge for motorcycles might be? I'm interested in something that's very accurate in measuring pressure and can do so with some level of precision (for those occasional track days where you want to dial things in right). Any thoughts or observations out there?

Kent

I use an old fashioned high quality analog gauge from brookstone that has an air bleed valve (button) on the gauge as well as a foot long hose for reaching any awkwardly positioned valve stem on the tire. With bags and exhaust system it can be awkward to reach the tire valve on the rear wheel without the flexible hose.

Been discussed before, but I'll chime in my 1.5 cents' worth anyway -

When I was using ÔÇ£pencilÔÇØ gauges, I would buy three different ones. Then I would measure one tire ÔÇô being careful not to let any ÔÇ£extraÔÇØ escape ÔÇô and get three different readings. The gauge with the highest reading and the gauge with the lowest reading got tossed into the trash, and I kept the ÔÇØmiddleÔÇØ one. Pencil gauges' springs DO wear over time, and they have internal friction that changes with age and temperature.
I now use a digital gauge ÔÇô I have compared it side by side with many other gauges, and itÔÇÖs right on. By the way, mine is the gen-you-whine BMW gauge: itÔÇÖs about $22 US, and in ten years when its battery dies, I will trade it in for a new one! TheyÔÇÖve been selling these for many years now, and the package says Lifetime Warranty AND return for replacement! CanÔÇÖt beat that. It has a 45-degree head, so itÔÇÖs easy to get to the valve stem on my mag wheels.

+1 on the Brookstone. Don't know if they are still selling the same model as I bought 20 years ago, but mine is still spot-on. Large analog gauge and bleeder are plusses for me. I've had good luck with a couple of inexpensive pencil gauges, too. One from NAPA (about 5 bucks) and one came in the tool kit of a Kawasaki Concours I bought in 1993 (imagine that!) They all agree within less than a pound. The NAPA lives in the fairing pocket of my RT for travel use; the Brookstone is the garage tool.

pete

I'm a fan of the Accu-gauge- http://www.ghmeiser.com/dial.htm

160xga88.jpg

Been using them for a accurate fill check for many years. OM

Get a good l
Longacre dial guage. not that expensive if you look at the length of use you are going to have it. I am using the same one I have used for years of racing and riding. 0-60 lb. dead on. I check accuracy often.

Have this Harley Davidson air gauge /thread depth gauge.The chuck is at 90 degrees for best fitting between big disks and rims.Good quality,easy to use,see the dial scales.

I've got one of those for the garage, and a small digital one for the road. I've gotten to the point that the digital one is easier to use and is more consistent, so I'll probably retire the analog one.

EZ and digital

I generally carry 2 tire pressure gauges. I carry the BMW digital tire gauge in my tank bag for quick checks when I'm on the road. It is a bit pricey for a tire gauge, but it is pretty accurate and it is guaranteed.........I had one fail and my dealer replaced it for free. I also carry the EZ tire gauge that is part of my Cycle Pump that I got from Best Rest products (https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump-gauge.aspx). I carry this along with a Nealey Tire Repair Kit which I think is the easiest and best kit available (http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm). The EZ gauge is quite accurate and functions "in-line" with the cycle pump so that you can make adjustments in tire pressure quite easily and allows you to be quite precise without a lot of fiddling around. This may be a little overkill, but better prepared than not, I hope this is helpful.

I'll be the one to say that bourdon tube gauges(like the brass case one above) don't stay on the money. The fact that the factory where I worked had an instrument shop with several people actively involved with repairing & adjusting gauges tells you something. FWIW,I have one(sort of homemade) that's off right now, so I go with the digitals.

Thanks!

to Jad01 for posting what has to be the most useful info on tire gauge testing and information. My advice: Go read it, both parts. Excellent, detailed work by one of the brethren.

Walking Eagle

While were on air pressure guages-how accurate are the TPS in our wheels? On my Cadillac I can drive down the road and watch the PSI as it changes from tire warm up.I think of it as a safety net rather than a true reading. I have checked it with my digital & seemed close, maybe within 1-2 PSI. My bikes don't have TPS.

I generally carry 2 tire pressure gauges. I carry the BMW digital tire gauge in my tank bag for quick checks when I'm on the road. It is a bit pricey for a tire gauge, but it is pretty accurate and it is guaranteed.........I had one fail and my dealer replaced it for free. I also carry the EZ tire gauge that is part of my Cycle Pump that I got from Best Rest products (https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump-gauge.aspx). I carry this along with a Nealey Tire Repair Kit which I think is the easiest and best kit available (http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm). The EZ gauge is quite accurate and functions "in-line" with the cycle pump so that you can make adjustments in tire pressure quite easily and allows you to be quite precise without a lot of fiddling around. This may be a little overkill, but better prepared than not, I hope this is helpful.

If you have ever tried to use a long, angled tire chuck as found in all truck stops and many convenience stores you will carry an EZ gauge simply because it makes it possible to put air in your tires using one of those chucks. The gauge hose clips onto the valve stem, and air is added out at the gauge end, about 6 inches beside your tire instead of entangled somewhere between spokes, brake disks, and other encumbrances. I would carry one of ours even if the gauge itself was inaccurate or even smashed, just for the ease of adding air to the tire. It happens that they are reasonably accurate but that is just a side benefit to me. I also carry a digital gauge I got from Roadgear about ten years ago.

Old way still:)

I've had many gauges the last 60 years and today gone back to my pencil gauges again and find'em perfectly swell:). Had to buy one on my last road trip in Moab,Utah at a NAPA and they got me for 11$, but a FINE pencil gauge, high end model! My GSA has no issues getting to the valve stems, just my body sometimes complains about the deep knee bend, or kneeling on the hard ground:). Knees just are not young anymore! Anyhow, I have found my last several pencil gauges have been dead on perfect. They do NOT seem to like Slime and need a good cleaning after exposed to the green stuff. Randy

While were on air pressure guages-how accurate are the TPS in our wheels? On my Cadillac I can drive down the road and watch the PSI as it changes from tire warm up.I think of it as a safety net rather than a true reading. I have checked it with my digital & seemed close, maybe within 1-2 PSI. My bikes don't have TPS.

The pressure should vary as the tires heat up. That's a design feature
Regards

I use the Digital Tire Gauges from Roadgear. They're easy to use, easy for my old eyes to read, and the lastest actually tells me the reading...:heart

I have a few, and have given a few as gifts to friends that love them as well.

Like Paul and a couple others I know, I also drag an EZ gauge with me in both bikes for those chance encounters with whatever I have to use on the road.

Back