• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010-2012 BMW R1200RT Auxilliary Mirrors

crawfcj

I recently traded in my 2007 RT for a 2012 RT. I had a set of K1200RS mirrors on my '07 which I habitually used since I first added them back in '08. On the way home with the new bike, i suddenly noticed that I was somewhat blind to the rear so have been searching for additional mirrors. When I get ready to tour and camp, my gear will essentially block all rear view from the stock mirrors.

I found mirrors and an adapter at A&S for $213.00 http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76241

I also found what appears to be the same thing on ebay for about $123.00:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200RT...m=321030736583&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&vxp=mtr

Anyone here added auxiliary mirrors to the newer RT? I think if I could just buy the little mounting adapter, then I could have a choice of mirrors in the future. Advice, please!

Craw-
I bought the parts needed to add GDS mirrors to my 2011 RT from Max BMW. They sell everything you need, not as a kit, but individual parts listed together on their website. You can also get just the hand lever clamp part that has the threaded hole for the mirrors, like BMW used to use. In fact Wunderlich has them, too. I don't know about the thread size and whether the standard mirrors, used on a zillion other brands, will work. The parts from Max include a left-hand threaded adapter and rubber boots to cover the attachments. They provide the round style mirrors (BMW part, not aftermarket stuff). The whole thing take about 10 minutes to install, or 9 minutes if you don't spend the first minute trying to thread the left-handed adapter in the wrong way. Duh!

Result? The new mirrors are up closer to your line of sight and probably above any load you've got strapped to the rear. Took me a while to get used to them and I found myself looking at four mirrors instead of two, but that's just me. Seems the mirrors create a bit of turbulence but not a big deal. The round mirrors are not aesthetically pleasing on the RT but you could say the same about me.

Hope all that helps.

pete
-Wag more, bark less.

You are correct - once you change the top half of the lever clamps, you have a wide choice of options. If you are near a dealer, look at all the F series bikes and you will see a few different shapes. I used the F800R mirrors because I thought they complemented the RT.

I put them on my 2012 Rt for the same reason. They look great on the bike and I have not noticed the turbulence mentioned.

Note that mounting the new mirrors does obstruct the stock mirrors.

Mirrors

One more for the MAX deal on the mirror setup. Works perfect. Especially when you have a top box.

Would it be possible for some of your suggestions be posted with pics so we have a better idea of what the end result would look like???

Imo...

Its the mirrors from the K1200RS / GT that look best when added to the RT.
Those round types are ancient, and their functionality has been improved upon;
as evidence by how their priced....IMO I say again.
Travel'in John

Thanks for the link and I will have to check out the other style.
This is going to be my project in March or April. Getting my new RT ready.

mirrors on recednt R1200RT's

I had a '12 and put on after market mirrors with the adapter from Wunderlich. The mirrors vibrated all the time. Did the mirror from A and S vibrate going down the road?

The A&S mirrors have no noticeable vibration. I have to say I still miss my old K1200RS mirrors i had on my '07 RT, but these are the next best thing. If I was starting with a new RT today, i would buy the A&S mirrors.

What about mounting mirrors off the GT on the RT fairing? I use the handlebar areas for a cup holder and radar detector.

The brick K12RS mirrors that we used on the pre '10 models do not work on the newer models as the base is different.

On H's R12R, we used a set off a wedge '07K12R, which seem to be the ones now used on the F-bikes. Found a used set online. The mounting clamp does need to be changed to the threaded mirror perch top as mentioned on the RT.

here is a pic of a K12R/Sport

BMW_K1200R-SPORT__2007_01.jpg

Here are some shots of my RT with the GS mirrors. Cant' remember if I got them from Max, Sierra, or A & S.....

null_zps4ba271db.jpg

null_zps79159340.jpg

null_zps8e6fbdfd.jpg

Instead of new mirrors

I bought the Suburban Machinery handlebars UP kit which stretched my arms out an inch or two and got my elbows out of the way of my mirrors line of sight. Now I can see nicely through the mirrors, and the kit was only $100. I added some small fisheye mirrors for side view to eliminate the blind spot that cars sometimes hide in. Works well and I like the way it looks.
IMG_7577.jpg

Clamp & RAM Mount

I have been aware of this mirror thread for a while. A friend mounted his camera this way, and I thoought it should work for me, although his bike is not an RT, and is earlier than 2010.

The MAX info has a part number for the clamp which is valid here in Canada (not a big surprise) and MAX has a chaeper price ($31 US) vs. $45 from the Canadian dealer near me. But, shipping to Canada adds $32! So, I ordered 2 clamps from the dealer. 1 day delivery to dealer from BMW Canada. Special order and non-refundable.

Before ordering, I did a bit of research on a RAM mount to screw into the clamp. From reading on the web, it seems like the clamp accepts a 10mm coarse thread stud. Can anyone confirm that?

RAM does make a 1" ball with 10mm stud in both fine and coarse threads. The fine is a RAM-B-349 [10mmx1.25] and the other is RAM-B-349-1 [10mmx1.5]. So, hopefully I can get all this to work.

Winter is going to end sometime, and I am preparing for a nice long June ride to the West Coast. This time I'd like to get some video of nice riding through the mountains.

Clamp has 10mm x 1.5 thread...

... And the local supplier has only the 1.25 thread RAM Mount in stock. 1.5 now on special order.

Supplier claims RAM does not inventory their products, and it may take months to get it. My fingers are crossed ... But if they arrive before June 01, no problem.

The original clamp bolts require a small Torx wrench, as do many / most of the bike's fasteners. I have a small case with both male and female Torx bits. Handy to take on long trips.

Back