• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

auxiliary lights?

After looking at the various offerings in LED auxiliary lights for the past year I purchased 2 sets of the Clearwater Kristas. One set I installed on a 2012 F800GS, the other on a 2011 R1200GS. Both intallations were easy, the hardest part was taking the time to route the wires neatly. While they are expensive they are high quality. Everything for the specific bike model was included in the kits except the expandable wire loom I like to use on certain wires (probably not necessary).

The light they produce is impressive, the beams are well focused and travel a long distance. I run with them on during the day in traffic, keeping the volume control at the lowest setting. When I select the bikes highbeam they go to full power (WOW!) as well as when you hit the horn button. After several weeks with them I've had no issues with blinding oncoming traffic or vehicles in front of me and they dissapate heat very well.

Mike -- We must be related; I also use wire loom on pretty much everything on the bikes and spend hours and several beers trying to figure out the neatest way to run them. Where did you end up mounting the relay box on the wiring harness; mine's just forward of and above the horn.

I have the old style Kristas on my 07 GS and just mounted the newer (much brighter) Kristas on my '10 GSA linked to Glendas on the sidecar. It's really nice having all four controlled by one rheostat, and thanks to Mikegc I moved the controller up to the top of the foglight switch. I often compared my older Kristas to miniature suns when I hit the high beams, but these are even more powerful. Definitely low power into opposing traffic!

Hey Pete, on the 1200 I mounted it under the keyswitch in the wishbone shaped brace, it fit perfect. The harness ran down and forward from there. On the 800 I mounted it in the space behind the battery, it was like it was made for it. The install on the 800 was alittle easier/neater because the battery is up front closer to the connections (or maybe it was because it was the 2nd one). Before, I was somewhat reluctant to ride very long at night but now I enjoy riding more. These lights remind me of years ago when I installed aircraft landing lights in place of my highbeams on my cars. Cross country travel overnight was my favorite, seeing miles down the road...

Attachments

• 1356144700696.jpg
    1356144700696.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 251
I've been going the longest while with everything just wired to the battery.

Today my stuff from electricalconnection.com came in and I rerouted my existing wiring and added some advmonster.com driving lights

2y3y2evy.jpg

e8amepuv.jpg

quvuvehy.jpg

This is WAY better than the stock headlight could ever do.

734221_10200260046729963_13374686_n.jpg

734273_10200260046929968_891863995_n.jpg

37099_10200260046169949_781176483_n.jpg

After looking at the various offerings in LED auxiliary lights for the past year I purchased 2 sets of the Clearwater Kristas. One set I installed on a 2012 F800GS, the other on a 2011 R1200GS. Both intallations were easy, the hardest part was taking the time to route the wires neatly. While they are expensive they are high quality. Everything for the specific bike model was included in the kits except the expandable wire loom I like to use on certain wires (probably not necessary).

The light they produce is impressive, the beams are well focused and travel a long distance. I run with them on during the day in traffic, keeping the volume control at the lowest setting. When I select the bikes highbeam they go to full power (WOW!) as well as when you hit the horn button. After several weeks with them I've had no issues with blinding oncoming traffic or vehicles in front of me and they dissapate heat very well.

Thanks a lot for your review, I've had my sights set on the Kristas but was undecided. I avoid riding at night but last time it was unavoidable, adn as I was out in mountainous country and open highway the lack of visibility with the stock lighting was just plain unsafe. I'm going for the kristas TODAY.

Happy rides and cheers, C

For street bikes I'm a big fan of Motolights mounted on the calipers. .

I have used Motolights on my LT and RS. The improvement in being seen is dramatic. Since I ride on mostly 2 lane, black top, hilly, and curvy roads I find the additional light for night riding a pure safety issue.

I had the Motolights on the LT for 80,000 miles and they were like new when I sold the bike. Motolights also provides free replacement bulbs. At both rallies and over the phone they have been excellent to deal with.

:wave

I added Denalis from Twisted Throttle using their mount on the forks just below the fairing and they through a lot of light. Very pleased.

As Originator of this Thread ...

... thought I'd let y'all know how I finished it. I installed Clearwater Glendas with the amber lens cover. They do everything I wanted them to do, which is cause other drivers to see me. Based on reactions and comments, I believe they work well. I originally was looking for amber LEDs, but the Glendas came with white LEDs and amber lens covers, plus they included the white lens covers and o-ring seals as spares, so I can switch in about five minutes to white if I ever want to use them as nighttime driving lights.

Thx for your input. It helped.

Where are the photos?

You've heard of technophobes? Or technophiles? Well, I'm a techno-doofus. Got a digital camera but can't figure it out. Got a smartphone with camera but can't figure it out. Got a laptop with ALL the software but can't figure it out. You'll have to use your imagination but my installation looks almost identical to others posted on this thread. Sorry.

I was most noticed by other drivers when I owned my RT-P with PIAAs mounted ABOVE the mirrors on the mounts that usually hold the police red and blue front lights. No one ever turned in front of me. That gave me the widest separation of the lighting triangle that you are supposed to try to obtain.

I have ordered Denali lights for my present day civilian R1200RT. I am going to mount them on high on stalks using the unused mirror holes so they will be above the mirrors. I do understand that some states prohibit lights above the stock head light and some states have a 42, 44 or 48 inch height limit on lights but its worth the risk and really, who is going to bother an almost 60 yr old riding responsibly on a BMW for a non moving violation like that?

On the recommendation of my BMW shop, I checked out the Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED lights. Anything more than 4 LEDs per housing is exteme overkill. .............

I got a set of these so others notice me, as I seldom ride at night, This spring I was riding with a few other bikes, one was the new R12GSH20 with the factory LED head light and optional LED driving lights, one was a R12ADV running last years BMW factory halogen aux lights, and one was running a set of Denali LED's.

We mixed our order throughout our rides, but all said the Rigid D2 were the most noticeable in there mirrors, regardless if the order in line, but also said they were not too bright either, never had any oncoming traffic flash me, indicating they were too bright.

Ordering a set for the wife's bike.

digging up an old thread, but got a chance to take a pics of the wife's bike with and without the Rigid dually s. Again I was looking for OTHERS to see me, as I seldom ride at night. In real life the difference is staggering in the rear view mirror.

High beam only vs High beam and Rigid's about 1/4 miles away (note bike is CLOSER with high beam only)

final pic is at about 1/8 mile

Attachments

• P1020468.jpg
    P1020468.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 220
  • P1020469.jpg
    P1020469.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 224
  • P1020470.jpg
    P1020470.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 221
adding auxillary lights to the 2016 F700GS- where to tie in relay wire

I'm going to be hooking up a PIAA auxillary lights harness. I've done this before on other bikes, but I'm a little worried about the Can-bus system on this new bike. My question: can I simply tap into the hot wire going to the stock power socket for the white relay trigger coming from the harness? On past bikes, I've used the hot wire going to the headlight to trigger the relat, so when the headlight's on the PIAA's would be, too. Am I headed for trouble? Any help would be immensely appreciated!

No replies? Had me thinking Whip it Good when I saw the screen name :laugh

The canbus is not a big issue.
Do you want them on with high beams or just any time ignition on?

I have tapped the relay trigger to the small running light in the headlight for a trigger for on with key.
Tapped to hi beam lead to trigger with hi beam. I don't use that setup for daytime running lights as I have Motolights for conspicuity.

The diagnostic plug has a switched lead that have used on many canbus bikes. Check with voltmeter, but green w/yellow stripe sounds right.

The powerlet outlet is good, not sure on F-Twins, but on other models is a slight time delay for it to shut off after key is turned off. People will be telling you your lights are on as you walk away.

As others said, tying the trigger to the canbus is no problem. This is where I tied mine, to the GPS canbus connector under the tank cover. This connector is easy to get to, just on top of the battery. The only down side is, the lights will stay on for about a minute after the bike is shut off. This is due to the canbus time-out. Never gave me any concern though.

Wayne

Attachments

• Trigger to relay for lights.jpg
    Trigger to relay for lights.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 114
Skeen LED front

I have Skeen from LED running lights with the conspicuity flicker. They are for daytime use and were an easy install because they hardly pull any power so no Can Bus issues.

http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/PB_Features.shtml

I have the white ones without the turn signal option. They make a fender screw mount for easy installation. The problem with caliper mounted lights is your mechanic hates to deal with that stuff when he or she is doing a brake job for you. Plus I think they're pricey and draw lots of power because they're halogen. Could be an issue with CanBus system finding a tap in.

Back