• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

High Miles 2010 RT Cam chain tensioners

Grampa Tumbleweed
At 93k my cam chain slap wouldn't quit one morning, possibly related to a long trailer ride (The bike was ashamed?). Milwauke BMW found that the springs in the tensioners were sacked at least 1/4", that's a lot on a spring that's only 2" or so to start with. If it was a bad batch of springs, we will see more of these as the miles pile up. No doubt the slap would have quit if I left it run even longer, butt I lost my nerve. Here's the worst part: BMW doesn't sell the ($5?) springs, you need to pony up $60 each for the entire tensioner :bangheadassembly.

High Miles 2010 RT Cam Chain Tensioners

It's bad because 1. Dealers don't stock those, and
2. Most owners wouldn't feel confident to do it themselves anyway. In my case it meant scrap a planned trip.

It's bad because 1. Dealers don't stock those, and
2. Most owners wouldn't feel confident to do it themselves anyway. In my case it meant scrap a planned trip.

Point 1 is valid.
Point 2?
Even if it would cost $300~$400 it's hardly a major outlay after 93k.
Sorry that you had to scrap your trip, but the spring didn't sag suddenly and you seemed to have been aware of the noise for some time.
So hardly the bikes fault.
Still, having to scrap a planned tip would make anybody unhappy, no matter what the reason.

Timing chains aren't new technology. You'd think they'd be able to engineer something that could go 200K miles. They do with cars.

Timing chains aren't new technology. You'd think they'd be able to engineer something that could go 200K miles. They do with cars.

Original right side tensioner still in Voni's R1100RS at 370K miles. Original right side still in my R1150R at 170K miles. Both left side tensioners replaced with upgraded no-draindown design but that was a design change, not due to wear.

Original chains still in both bikes too.

My K75T also had original tensioner and chain at 370K miles.

Original right side tensioner still in Voni's R1100RS at 370K miles. Original right side still in my R1150R at 170K miles. Both left side tensioners replaced with upgraded no-draindown design but that was a design change, not due to wear.

Well, that is good to hear and more in line with what I would expect. I have to wonder if older bikes are more reliable. ;)

high mile bikes

Paul
Do you even own any bikes with less than 100k on them?
Dave

Paul
Do you even own any bikes with less than 100k on them?
Dave

Voni's K75s just went over 100K. Her "new" '07 F800 is now over 90K but not quite 100 yet.

I have a couple of K75s with less than 100K and my F650 Dakar with the stuck engine only has about 50K.

Well, that is good to hear and more in line with what I would expect. I have to wonder if older bikes are more reliable. ;)

The left side ones Paul replaced are off the newer (hexhead) bikes. They can be retrofitted to the older bikes to stop the chain slap on startup. Funny thing is - it's fairly common to have chain slap on startup on the hexheads (right side this time) with the newer design (at least I think it's the right side, sounds like it..)

The left side ones Paul replaced are off the newer (hexhead) bikes. They can be retrofitted to the older bikes to stop the chain slap on startup. Funny thing is - it's fairly common to have chain slap on startup on the hexheads (right side this time) with the newer design (at least I think it's the right side, sounds like it..)

I've heard it on mine and only after I moved to AZ this past summer. I think the oil really got baked this past summer so now I switched to Mobil 1. We'll see how it goes. I have 11 months of warranty left.

Back