• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally 2012: What A Trip!

A few more 'see ya laters' and the group splits according to their plans for the day and promises for another time. :wave

DSC09608.jpg

DSC09618.jpg

DSC09619.jpg

Those remaining prepare for a morning ride to the Glenora Distillery by way of the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou ( owned by the three sisters of the well known music group The Rankins) :thumb

The Rankins??

Originally from Mabou, Cape Breton Island, they have all gone various ways although you can catch Jimmy Rankin doing very well on his own. This is a sentimental little ditty that maybe fits as we all ready to leave beautiful Cape Breton Island and close the Salty Fog Riders Rally for year five. Now, on to the pub!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LGHq_m8E1o8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Recommendation: go for the chili and forget the salad. Very nice place though and at times folks will come in and play some tunes. Doesn't seem to be a set format but you could get lucky.

DSC09742.jpg

Well fed and watered, next stop is the distillery. Frank has an acquaintance from New York that works at Glenora and we hope to meet up with him.

A relaxing place this distillery. While Frank seeks his friend, Quinn takes advantage of the garden-like atmosphere.

DSC09683.jpg

DSC09680.jpg

... meanwhile Frank and Kelly have had the good fortune of connecting (note: did not have the name of Frank's friend but can inject later)

IMG_4667.jpg

...and now for that unexpected and spectacular tour!

Now, although the following is in the reverse order of the actual event, it fits better to move finally to a special and exclusive finish

This (albeit a tad blurry) is the fine product produced at Glenora Distillery on Cape Breton Island.

DSC09718.jpg

Some of the machinery involved in the process...

DSC09710.jpg

DSC09716.jpg

DSC09726.jpg

DSC09728.jpg

Now that we know where it gets produced there must be some place assigned for it to age :scratch

It... uh

...appears Quinn may have enjoyed a "we-dram" prior to capturing that garden bench! Mightly relaxed, he is.
And....I can almost read Franks lips there standing by the still; saying "Kelly....get in!" .....:)

Nice report Bob; and great pictures Mary. 1st class event, that 2012 Salty Fog.... top notch planning & organization
by you both. Fortunate for all of us that have participated & enjoyed your hospitality, along with spectacular scenery & riding!!!

three bowl/travel'in john red r1150r 11/12 Salty vet... 09 IBA US National Parks Diamond (30day/no eastern states).:nono

Bob, Mary, Thank You!

The Salty Fog Rally......What a unique rally!
Great camaraderie, beautiful scenery, captivating history lessons........and I have no proper adjectives to describe the food, as some of the pictures clearly show :D
Time to go on that long delayed diet for me and get ready for this year's SF rally.

Nick

... and now, following those kind words immediately above, .....The Final Installment.....:type

After an inside tour and a discussion about the fine art of making single malt whiskey, we are offered a tour of the storage/aging facilities. While not usually part of a tour we very much appreciated this extended version.

DSC09688.jpg

DSC09690.jpg

DSC09700.jpg

You can have a loaded barrel for a $20,000. But for today, we settle for a bit of a rare treat.

DSC09694.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

Now it's onward down the west side along scenic St Georges Bay to the Strait of Canso and back across the locks and the causeway to the mainland. The Irving station is the standard point of farewells. A successful and safe ride completed.

DSC09744.jpg

DSC09745.jpg

DSC09747.jpg

We thank all who have made this year's Salty Fog Riders Rally such an interesting, dynamic and safe ride. We look forward to providing year number six next September with a few extra and interesting twists to the Larry's River stay. Stay tuned. :wave:wave

THE SALTY FOG RIDERS RALLY 2013 WILL BE: SEPTEMBER 2-6 (WITH SUNDAY THE 1st BEING THE EARLY ARRIVAL DAY SPECIAL).

[SUB]A NEW THREAD WILL BE DEVELOPED TO 'REHASH' THE WONDERFUL PAST FIVE YEAR'S EXPERIENCES AS WELL AS INTRODUCE SOME NEW OPTIONS THIS YEAR FOR PARTICIPANTS.
[/SUB]

WATCH FOR: SALTY FOG RIDERS RALLY 2013

OH... I wish I could...

....that's all I'm saying for now. Man of few words....

three bowl john

Okay, I'm in! :ca

I was supposed to be "in" for 2013, but my twin brothers-in-laws are celebrating their 60th birthdays this coming Labour Day weekend, along with lots of family (birthdays are actually August 3rd!). Hence my wife Janet, her sister and husband will be driving out west. I'll sort of shadow them on my K, maybe hooking up occasionally for picnics, maybe motels, maybe giving them rides. My original plans were Salem, B.C. Alaska, and then Edmonton for August 3rd, until they changed their plans. Life is what happens when you're making other plans. Sorry Bob and Mary. Put me down for 2014. :mad

Great! It's on my calendar. :thumb

We look forward to you joining us again Nick! Looks like we'll have to start producing some Salty Fog Riders Rally Alumni shirts! Having a 50% return rate speaks well for our little effort up here. :thumb - Bob

Back