• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally 2012: What A Trip!

On the way to the KOA, Mary and I stop for a quick bite and a reprieve from the rain at this Cape Breton landmark eatery and meet up with Three Bowl John (pictured) http://www.yelp.ca/biz/a-and-k-lick-a-chick-restaurant-bras-d-or (one site example)

DSC09400.jpg

And, across the street (although we did not visit)...

DSC09405-1.jpg

Life at the KOA begins to take form with cabins for all....except for Wayne applying the skills of a survivalist. And he stayed dry while surrounded by tiny lakes!

IMG_3689-1.jpg

DSC09462.jpg

DSC09457.jpg

A short ride across the Seal Island bridge to the only open restaurant - Fitzgerald's.

sealislandbridge.jpg

DSC09421-1.jpg

Fixing Nick's 'wardrobe malfunction'...

P1050533-1.jpg

DSC09417.jpg

After that fine meal we hunker down in the group activity room at the KOA. Some adult beverages and animated conversation flowed as damp clothing and related gear spun in the dryers

P1050534.jpg

DSC09431.jpg

DSC09452.jpg

DSC09425.jpg

It is unlikely that Meat Cove will remain in the plan. A call to the owner suggests to us that the severe winds and rain will make the ride in a bit chancy and tenting clearly not advisable. We'll check this out again as we ride up the eastern side of the trail tomorrow. A 'Plan B' is in the works. On the plus side, this will be a unique opportunity to get close to severe ocean turbulence. A truly majestic sight. After a stop for breakfast at The Clucking Hen the fun will really start.:lurk

Those are my favourite kinds of conversations - with the right (small) crowd, and after a day of enjoying a favourite activity. :D

Next morning it's wrap up tight and roll up the east side of the Cabot Trail (BTW, an Italian explorer was an early arrival and, being a somewhat important figure in world history, this trail is named for him. Just Google it.) Onward! Into the "misty moisty morning".

SmokeySign.jpg

....and when you get that 'why me' feeling as you climb at a significant angle with the wind and rain ramping up the challenge, you can think about the ride endured by adventurers before you on the same track...

DSC05690.jpg

DSC05688.jpg

Ok, let's go to breakfast at the Clucking Hen

Three to the edge of the earth

The mythical/mystical Meat Cove camping is not happening. The owner says huge wind and rain. No place for the Edge of the Earth Gathering this year. However, three adventurers on gs's (Frank, Kelly and Wayne) ventured in while the rest moved onward to a Pleasant Bay motel ( Plan B).

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Plan B......... as the sun starts to break through on the west side of the trail

DSC09543.jpg

DSC09542.jpg

DSC09544.jpg

And now, as Van The Man sang..... the bright side of the road :twirl

WOW! What a difference 50km/30min makes....

I had no idea crossing the mountain would have such an impact on that areas weather. Aptly named Pleasant Bay!!!
Now that was a good call... Plan B. "B" was for better on that day; with an ending of a ride that turned out really great.

"travel'in" john salty fog 11/12

I had no idea crossing the mountain would have such an impact on that areas weather. Aptly named Pleasant Bay!!!
Now that was a good call... Plan B. "B" was for better on that day; with an ending of a ride that turned out really great.

"travel'in" john salty fog 11/12

.... and tomorrow, the rest of the story....barefoot riding, Three Bowl John loses his pants, Quinn serves up a killer brew and three guys light up stogies that would make the Rat Pack proud. And then, a glimpse of single malt whiskey lined up in $20,000 barrels.... and a few fortunate souls had the opportunity to taste directly from the barrel!

Now... I uh... can't speak for all of us...

But I personally have only two reasons:

1. Somebody's gotta be first

2. In celebration of dry ground & cold beer!

I seldom revel alone when both occur simultaneously. Usually big party with happy people, food & beverage & cigars!.... :brow

"three bowl" john

But I personally have only two reasons:

1. Somebody's gotta be first

2. In celebration of dry ground & cold beer!

I seldom revel alone when both occur simultaneously. Usually big party with happy people, food & beverage & cigars!.... :brow

"three bowl" john

... that special picture will lead the next installment this afternoon..... and tomorrow is a new year and a new year gets us thinking about Salty Fog 2013. Looks like we might get a chartered lobster boat .... docked in front of our Larry's River door..... for a fishing run in the bay for 2013. More on that later though. Today we finish the rest of the 2012 story. :lurk

So, about those pants. Sometimes rain gear does not come off as 'easily' as it went on. Such was the struggle experienced by Three Bowl John upon arrival at the Mountain View Motel and Restaurant in Pleasant Bay. An excellent and welcome post storm oasis http://www.themountainview.com/

DSC09561.jpg

DSC09562.jpg

Like the cabins at the KOA, the very hospitable and creative management/staff assisted in providing very affordable accommodations for all (love that 'seniors discount'). The bright sun, group assembly on the tarmac, the crackling sound of beer cans popping as steam rose from equipment scattered about

DSC09546.jpg

P1050547.jpg

DSC09563.jpg

Of course she doesn't ride this way, this picture of a short turn around was so unique and seemed to express some of the festive mood of the moment...after her ride into a windy and wet Meat Cove, Kelly had plenty to celebrate!

DSC09571.jpg

The restaurant now had a long assembly of tables set for us so let the feast begin.... :eat:eat:eat:eat:eat:eat etc

Jeeeeeze, Kelly, not a drop of mud on that bike after the Meat Cove Rd in the rain, and John didn't spill a drop of/on his can either. :laugh

Folks will wonder....

...and your correct Tom, about the bike! It had to be that Cape Saint Lawrence "rinse cycle" we rode through crossing Cape Breton
Highlands NP enroute to Pleasant Bay. Even her toes look clean! .:laugh

On to the the on-site restaurant: an excellent presentation and product! A short walk across the parking lot and.....

DSC09583.jpg

DSC09578.jpg

DSC09580.jpg

DSC09582.jpg

DSC09584.jpg

After a very satisfying meal, a short yet slower walk back to our rooms and a plan to turn Mary and Bob's room into the Hospitality Suite

The last two items on the previously mentioned list is 1) Quinn's 'Killer Brew' and 2) Three stogies....

The Brew (does anyone attending remember the concoction recipe?)

DSC09600.jpg

DSC09597.jpg

The Stogies:

DSC09592.jpg

And general humor and conversation

DSC09601.jpg

Tomorrow, the final day of the rally, some of the group will skip the tour of the single malt whiskey distillery and continue onward to homeward bound adventures while those remaining will get an unexpected special tour of the facilities and a peek at some things not on the usual tour plan.

Back