• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Transport Canada Recall # 2012404 - C600Sport

mika

Still Wondering
Transport Canada Recall # 2012404
BMW issued a recall on the C600 Sport Model
On certain motorcycles, the fairing side panels can loosen and detach from the vehicle while it is traveling at very high speeds. A fairing panel separating from the vehicle could strike the rider or passenger,...

If a panel comes off from your bike at say 75 mph, how fast is panel going after one foot once it leaves your bike....not much damage to the rider but maybe the passenger. Just a thought.

IBKING

My reply on the scooter time thread:

Heh heh, "Warning, others may be hit by objects falling off your scooter". Great. Just great. Yugo's had this problem too.

Every race weekend race stewards and corner workers have to decide how much debris on the track constitutes a danger. Darn nanny state Canadians decided that when possible it shouldn't be dropped in the first place and black flagged the C.

:D

What a concept.

I was surprised at the recall. There are no corresponding recall in the UK, Australia (NZ covered by them) or the EU that I was able to find. They may come but right now it looks like the Transport Canada is taking the lead in this.

If a panel comes off from your bike at say 75 mph, how fast is panel going after one foot once it leaves your bike....not much damage to the rider but maybe the passenger. Just a thought.

IBKING

A very good question to ponder upon!

Lets see, at 75 mph, the bike is also subject to great force of wind from the front. Upon panel ejection, the thrust (the force of drag) applied in the opposite direction would be the highest than 1 foot after ( ignoring the effects of gravity, which will pull it down). The panel is also traveling towards you in a decreasing velocity. Since the bike is traveling at high speed (75 mph), effects of decreasing velocity should be negligible as the passenger is next to the rider. However, the bike is still in a steady forward motion, thus the rider and passenger would hurt, albeit about the same in my opinion. It also depends on the weight of the panel ... Newtonian mechanics of momentum! ... to gauge the size of the injury. This would result in a bruise or cut.

Back