• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone use Motorkote?

toshibgood

Hi Guys

Anybody have any experience with the Motorkote oil additive?

Their testing results looked pretty impressive on their website. I use to work at a University and am familiar with the type of test they used on their website and know that it is a valid test. I understand that is commonly used in trucks and such. Says it protects through 4 oil changes and takes 2 oz per qt when added. I put it in my 2000 R1100RT (50,000 miles) and my 2006 K1200GT (15,500 miles). Just started running them with it and they run as well as they ever have. Curious what the long term effects will be. I hope to have these bikes for a long time so why not I figured.
Cost $26 (with a $5 dollar mail in rebate coupon) for 30oZ (I think) at Walmart.
I'll report in if I have any bad results.

Just checking . Anybody use this stuff before?:lurk

Thanks

John

Would worry about how it might affect the clutch since it's a unitized engine/trans.

Other than that, I wouldn't give it a second look. The results from the company are by the same company trying to sell the product.

Motorkote

Thanks Gilly for the input.
I did search the web extensively and could not really find anything firmly negative about it. Found some Honda owners using with no clutch problems. I used to own an old Police K1000 that was sensitive to certain oils that would cause the clutch to slip. So far I have not had any slippage that I can detect. Only negative pointed out by some was the fact that it is marketed by the the same company that sells duralube that has had some negatives against it.
Found one site looking for any negatives/complaints for issues but it didn't have a single actual complaint filed. Many people say oils work fine and do not believe in any kind of additives and I can respect that. I did not find one incident where it has caused any problems just generally peoples resistance to a marketed additive that may be making exaggerated claims. I'll try running through the amount I purchased and decide then if I feel there is any benefits or problems.
If anyone has seen or heard of any problems at all, of any kind caused by this additive I'm open to knowing about it. Any links etc. would be appreciated.
Again Gilly thanks for checking out my question and your response, I do respect your opinion because you have always been helpful and spot on with your post to me in the past. I'm not trying to start a well beat on oil thread.:bow

Thanks

John

Sure, I understand. If you already bought it, I'd give it a try. I did find lots of people online who are swearing that all the claims are true. I guess I'm in the camp who believe that if these ppl have really found this Holy Grail to improve the oil, that the oil companies would in turn be putting it in the oil at the refineries. The marketers need to come up with stuff like this to make a living and they are really good at getting ppl to believe their claims are true. I think in many cases they manufacture claims by individuals that they just make up (name, job, where they are from, what they have all ridden and how this additive has improved their lives in so many different ways, better fuel mileage, bike is always clean, hair is shinier, no more speeding tickets, more popular at the bar, etc etc).

Back