• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2001 R1200C Bike Considerations

Sunday I went to look at a 2001 R1200C Montana for a friend and *I* liked it a lot. My friend does not want it because it has no fairing. He said he wants something like an RT. The bike we saw has the larger BMW touring fairing.

The bike is black with the black leather bags and larger fork mounted windshield. Spoke wheels and they looked good. The prior owner added a passenger seat with the backrest (I think - the current owner knew little what the prior owner did to it). BTW, can that backrest be used for the driver? Nobody ever rides with me. The bike only has 10,600 miles.

Now for the bad... the bike has hardly been ridden for a couple to 3 years at least. It started after some cranking but ran rough and the ABS light never went off. I rode it and after about 1 mile the bike started to run and idle great! It felt real easy to ride. The bike was a little dirty but in otherwise very good shape. Nothing bent or broken or scratched.

Owner asked for $6,500 but I want to offer $5,500 because of the flashing ABS lights and needing new tires (old tires cracked). He said the light goes out after it is ridden a while. I think he said he has ridden it about 50 miles since he purchased it (his first bike!). I know the bike is weak in HP (61HP) but not too bad in torque. My long range bike will always be my 2010 RT but this can be my around town bike.

What advise do you C owners have for me. How is this price? Would dropping it in the driveway cause the ABS fault? Any cautions for this model and year? I tried to post this on the Chromehead forum but I need to register first.

Thanks in advance,
tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

You might be best to ask your question over at www.chromeheads.org. That's the place for all things C bike related. Loads of info and very helpful members. Not that you won't get any replies here, but you'd have better exposure to a 'dedicated' group over there.

Cheryl

Registered yesterday but I haven't been approved yet. I can't post until I get that approval.

tsp

You might be best to ask your question over at www.chromeheads.org. That's the place for all things C bike related. Loads of info and very helpful members. Not that you won't get any replies here, but you'd have better exposure to a 'dedicated' group over there.

Cheryl

tsp - Look forward to seeing you at Chromeheads.

The "underpowered" C is a very capable machine that will do most everything you want, with the exception of GS Giant tasks. Lots of torque will get you down the road as fast as you need, handling is better than any other cruiser, and you'll be able to hang with the sporty riders in the twisties.

Converting back to a solo seat with the driver backrest should be easy enough, provided you have the parts. ABS can be reset by a dealer or someone with a GS-911 if needed. Weak battery will cause the flashing ABS to continue.

The C is very easy to work on. 16K is not even broken in yet. Make sure you change all the fluids and get new tires.

C

Check out NADA and KBB for retail prices on the bike.

Torque is measured, horse power is calculated. If it has enough power for you that's all that counts. I had a 2003CLC, it had plenty of power to cruise up to 85mph. Gas mileage was very good, about 54 mpg on the road. By far the most comfortable BMW I have owned. It had an aftermarket saddle and back rest, along with the floorboards.

If the bike hasn't had many miles on it in 3 years, it needs a 24K/annual service.

Jon

Back