• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

backroads/dirt VA-WV_KY

Looking to spend a week in June getting to know southwest VA southern WV and eastern KY. Any advice? Are forest service roads accesible?:usa

I hate to be vague on this answer, but as someone that lives in Louisville and has in-laws in the middle of WV, I've travelled a huge chunk of those roads over the years.

A few years back 3 of us took a bike trip to the Gap and then headed through WV up into Virginia. What we would do is hop off the slab and grab pretty much any of the back roads. They are all great! We never hit a bad road and some of the little towns we stumbled upon were priceless (key up the banjo music).

As far as dirt roads....I can't vouch for that area but where my mother in law lives in the middle of WV there are miles of what we call "gas" roads (to service the pipelines). My son and I have ridden dirtbikes for miles on them and they always seem to switch back onto a paved road eventually; unless of course you hit a creek!

You will have major fun.....I'm envious!

For KY go to the Daniel Boone National Forest website & see where it's legal. There are a few designated areas,not many. Logging roads are often owned by steel,coal,timber companies & posted. Many are off-limits (mine,like many others) to keep down erosion. Maybe go to a ATV type forum & see where they end up in WV & KY. Websites for those kind of clubs too.

thanks fellas. I appreciate the info. June can't come soon enuf. I just ordered "Motorcyle Adventures 3" (Hagebak), hopefuly there's some info there too. Last two trips were in NC using Wayne Busch's America Rides Maps. Great Country!

Back