• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 RT and Odessey PC680

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Anyone put a PC680 in a RT of my vintage. My battery is toast and need a replacement.

Most owners of 1210 models use a buggy whip to get their transportation moving...

:laugh

The PC680 works great in my 2006 R1200RT.

Most owners of 1210 models use a buggy whip to get their transportation moving...

:laugh

The PC680 works great in my 2006 R1200RT.

I've corrected the year.. I tend to do things like that. I think there is a term for it.. (getting old..)

I just put a PC680-P in my 2009 RT it has 220 CCA verses 170 CCA in a PC680 and it works great. You have to install mounting brackets for the cables ,that are included, a simple operation.

Can I charge the PC-680 with the BMW canbus charger, or would I need to get a specific one for that battery.
Ed

Your current charger works just fine as a tender to keep the battery topped off. If you somehow completely discharge the battery, you might need a charger with a higher charging voltage (14.4-15V) to bring the battery back to life. More info than you would ever need is on the Odyssey web site. Check out the owners manual. If you have OCD tendencies, try the technical manual.

One of the Odyssey advantages is that has an extremely low self discharge rate. If your bike sits unused for months, the battery can simply be disconnected (to remove parasitic loads like the clock) and left without a tender.

Your current charger works just fine as a tender to keep the battery topped off. If you somehow completely discharge the battery, you might need a charger with a higher charging voltage (14.4-15V) to bring the battery back to life. More info than you would ever need is on the Odyssey web site. Check out the owners manual. If you have OCD tendencies, try the technical manual.

One of the Odyssey advantages is that has an extremely low self discharge rate. If your bike sits unused for months, the battery can simply be disconnected (to remove parasitic loads like the clock) and left without a tender.

Odyssey says that the PC 680 needs higher amperage for charging initially and if discharged. The normal rule of thumb comes out between 1 and two amps. Odyssey (in the paperwork that came with my PC680) says to charge at 6 amps to 8 amps. They didn't mention voltage on that paperwork.

I have a "big" charger with three settings: 2 amps, 8 amps, 12 amps. I use the 8 amp setting on the PC680. I use Battery Tender Juniors on other batteries/bikes.

I stand corrected. (again. maybe I should just shut up)

For some reason, when I bought my PC-680 I got the idea that my none of my chargers would work if it was completely dead. Re-reading the manual and the technical manual proves this wrong. My 10 amp automotive charger would work, using the deep cycle option. The technical manual shows a minimum recommended charge amperage of 6 amps and lists charging times for up to 20 amps. They recommend an additional 6-8 hours on a 2A trickle charger after the fast charge.

Back