• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tire Pumps?

dtrott

Anybody have any recommendations on tire pumps (manual or powered). Just got a new RT in September and am trying to decide what to buy for a touring bike like the RT. Is it best to carry a manual pump in the saddle bag?

Used my Slime pump many times, even put out enough pressure to seat the beads on a pair of tires I changed on the road. Look for sales at the local auto parts chains, you can get one for sub $20

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

SlimePump.jpg

FYI...the owner has an R1200RT...thought that might make a difference! He said new RT, so I guess that's pretty clear to some people...not me!!

I also have a Slime pump. I have used for about 2 years and still works great. You will need the BMW cigarette lighter adapter to use on the RT, but I use it on my 06
R12RT with no problems.

Anybody have any recommendations on tire pumps (manual or powered). Just got a new RT in September and am trying to decide what to buy for a touring bike like the RT. Is it best to carry a manual pump in the saddle bag?

CyclePump @ $99.00 :thumb

There's a deal on a Slime pump at True Value going on now. $15 pump, $15 rebate.

The True Value I found mine at wanted $19.95, but it;s still a good deal.

CyclePump @ $99.00 :thumb

Keep your eye on the lighter plug wiring. The screws that tie the wires down like to come loose, especially if you like bumpy roads. Open it up and take a peek. I soldered mine last weekend, always seemed to fail at the exact time I wanted to use it. :rolleyes

Go to Wal Mart in the back. 12V pump back there should be just north of 10 bucks. When it breaks, if it ever does I have one that is pushing a decade old, you toss it and get a new one.

I have the Slime pump and it doesn't work very good. Best I could get out of it was 24 psi. Go with a hand pump.

Keep your eye on the lighter plug wiring. The screws that tie the wires down like to come loose, especially if you like bumpy roads. Open it up and take a peek. I soldered mine last weekend, always seemed to fail at the exact time I wanted to use it. :rolleyes

Thanks for the 'heads-up' but I prefer to use the alligator clips for direct hook-up to the battery terminals when inflating a tire.

Pump is expedition-quality ... works great! :thumb

Pumps?...

Let's think this thru..... Ok, I have a flat, turn off the bike, take my gear off, repair flat, start bike and power up the electric pump, tire fills, turn off bike to put stuff away and put on gear. Done right?

Get on the bike and try to start it..... It clicks..... The pump pulled more power than the charging system puts out at idle....

Not sure how I know this.. Ok, I'm not telling.

Keep compressed air canisters instead of the pump. Why risk two problems when you have just one..

My $.02. :lurk

Let's think this thru..... Ok, I have a flat, turn off the bike, take my gear off, repair flat, start bike and power up the electric pump, tire fills, turn off bike to put stuff away and put on gear. Done right?

Get on the bike and try to start it..... It clicks..... The pump pulled more power than the charging system puts out at idle....

Not sure how I know this.. Ok, I'm not telling.

Keep compressed air canisters instead of the pump. Why risk two problems when you have just one..

My $.02. :lurk

Your battery is in poor condition if you can't run a pump for 5 minutes, just saying. Good idea to install a voltmeter on the bike.

Your battery is in poor condition if you can't run a pump for 5 minutes, just saying.

+1

The instructions for the Slime pump actually specify using it only with the engine OFF. (Probably to reduce the possibility of overheating the pump.)

+1

The instructions for the Slime pump actually specify using it only with the engine OFF. (Probably to reduce the possibility of overheating the pump.)

The Slime pump I bought last week "suggests" an eight minute running limit. I know I've run the Cycle Pump for lots longer than that trying to get a bead to seat.

We have several. One Voni bought at an Alco store while I was using up cartridges while trying to find the leak. Another is a Coleman. Both of these are somewhat bulky and reside in cars. We have two Cycle Pumps. They are durable and last a long long time, but are expensive. We also just got a Slime pump - $15 with a $15 rebate making it free. I couldn't pass it up even though I didn't really need it.

Then I have a 5 gallon 110v compressor and a 30 gallon 110v compressor, plus a 10 gallon air tank.

Got air :)

Back