• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Broken headlight adjustment assembly

dlmorgan

dlmorgan
While attempting to adjust the height on my k1200r sport, the whole assembly popped out. Now the light beams exremely high. Any experienced reply is appreciated. Thanks

This happens when you turn the adjuster too far. I had that happen on an R1100Rt several years ago and was able to heat the caulk/glue and remove the glass front of the assembly to repair it. However, I suspect that you will not be able to do that with yours because the adhesive is a different type IIRC.

You may be able to remove the headlight assembly and put it upside down on the workbench. Using the access provided by the hole for the parking light, insert a tool to lever the reflector back towards the adjuster. The headlight assembly is, of course, VERY expensive, and the reflector inside rather delicate plastic, so proceed with all possible caution. Another idea is to remove the adjuster and somehow reach inside the assembly to pull the threaded shaft to the rear. Then, block the forward movement of the plastic reflector (it is spring loaded) and thread the adjuster back onto the threaded shaft. Think: building a ship in a bottle.

Good luck!

Greg

You could also try pulling back on the bulb or bulb base and trying to get the nut reconnected to the shaft that way. Or removing the main beam bulb and put your finger in to the bulb hole (I'd wear a cotton glove to avoid getting dirt or even skin oil on to the lens) and pulling back on the inner reflector that way. Not sure how much spring tension is on the reflector.

Thanks

This happens when you turn the adjuster too far. I had that happen on an R1100Rt several years ago and was able to heat the caulk/glue and remove the glass front of the assembly to repair it. However, I suspect that you will not be able to do that with yours because the adhesive is a different type IIRC.

You may be able to remove the headlight assembly and put it upside down on the workbench. Using the access provided by the hole for the parking light, insert a tool to lever the reflector back towards the adjuster. The headlight assembly is, of course, VERY expensive, and the reflector inside rather delicate plastic, so proceed with all possible caution. Another idea is to remove the adjuster and somehow reach inside the assembly to pull the threaded shaft to the rear. Then, block the forward movement of the plastic reflector (it is spring loaded) and thread the adjuster back onto the threaded shaft. Think: building a ship in a bottle.

Good luck!

Greg

Thanks

Thanks

You could also try pulling back on the bulb or bulb base and trying to get the nut reconnected to the shaft that way. Or removing the main beam bulb and put your finger in to the bulb hole (I'd wear a cotton glove to avoid getting dirt or even skin oil on to the lens) and pulling back on the inner reflector that way. Not sure how much spring tension is on the reflector.
Thanks

Back