• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ignition switch/lighting issue R100RT

mysteriousfish

OK here is a fun one. Last week during a brief rain break in Portland, I took all my bikes out for a spin to charge up, dry out, have fun (stored outdoors, under a carport, with rain covers). Had to bump start (have not plugged in the battery tender this winter yet) before a 30 mile ride. Stayed late at the GFs house on my 1980 R100RT, and when i went to ride home in the dark, discovered a glitch in the ignition switch. When the switch is turned two clicks to the "run" position and bike started (started fine), the headlight came on but the instrument and tail light did not work. Same result whether the bike is running or not. When I turn the ignition switch one click to "parking" position, all the lights function properly. Sound like a loose ground? Bad connection at the switch? I have not had a chance to do any trouble shooting yet, but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this one before? Thanks....michael

Bad connection at switch or somewhere in headlight shell, including from the headlight relay. Not a bad ground or it would never work.

Back