• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NHL Lockout got you down?

Mama1200

Daddymakk
A special report on the NHL players lockout just in

Video Link

183847_10151332099493714_1991330927_n.jpg

On a positive note, The (Toronto) Maple Leafs are still undefeated this season... :D

Seriously though, a pox on all their houses. :mad :nyah

It's hard to have any sympathy for either the owner$ or player$, But I do feel sorry for those folks who work(ed) at the concession stands, maintenance, nearby taverns, etc. Not a hockey player, but Longoria just signed a deal with Tampa Rays baseball for $100 million for six years. Kinda puts my teacher's salary in perspective.

pete

"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times,
it's the only time we've got." - Art Buchwald

+ a couple billion
If there is a more boring sport than pro hockey I don't know what it is, yet. Even badminton or pool is more interesting..
Some college hockey is still fun, especially at places where the fans and players are both emotionallyinto it but I practically slept through the pro games
I've seen live...

But I do feel sorry for those folks who work(ed) at the concession stands, maintenance, nearby taverns, etc.

Apart from this (valid IMO) point, there seems to be few (and that number seems to be dwindling) who care about the (particularly the NHL interpretation) of the game. I suspect everyone involved have completely forgotten who ultimately pays their exorbitant salaries.

As for this forum, it seems unanimous. I would guess we'd all rather ride than watch. :clap

JP

I still sometimes enjoy watching baseball, basketball and tennis - on TV only - and I suspect that is because I played these three games in my youth. (I was a fabulous Little League pitcher because I had a curve ball, and once threw a 6 inning no-hitter! Unfortunately, I was over the hill by the time I hit 15 years of age.) I think basketball is a game of incredible muscular grace that I admire though I could care less what teams are playing. Men's pro tennis is often a treat to watch for the seemingly impossible plays, and the fact that there is such a fine line between great play and pretty bad play.

I don't care to watch hockey or football or soccer - probably because I don't really understand the games.

I too find multi-million dollar per year contracts for athletes and owners offensive. Same for CEO's and the highest rung of symphony conductors and classical soloists. None of them are that good compared to the rungs just below them, who often don't make a decent living.

Are we likely to solve these problems? Maybe, when the fans simply vote with their feet because the ticket prices are too high.

Actually the "fans do vote" and with more than their feet. In Cinn,OH e.g. I think the new FB stadium got voted down 3 times & was built anyway. The Royals(MY team!) play in Kauffman Stadium (a now dead rich guy/owner if you need someone else to hate on)another one that was voted against. I agree that the owners $ & the ticket $ should build them not others$.No, I cannot relate to the rich owners nor the absurd sums paid to the players. I don't "idolize owners" in sports anymore than in the food business or whatever else. I've read Business Week & it's just as Kosher to idolize the big guys in corporate business as sports(pros also a business) & make over their success.
What I can relate to is the skill & preparation it takes to play silly games as yes , I played them a long time & enjoy watching some for the excitement I get from the win/lose thing. Adrenalin comes in different colored "pills".
Hockey-no,FB-yes,BB-yes,tennis-no,golf-TV-no/play-yes ,fish-TV-no/catch em-yes.watch bikes on TV-no,ride em-yes & so on. Like they say, it takes all kinds. At my house we all play hard & study hard. The "big vibe" for my fellow KY FB fans is a new coach, not much NHL feeling around these parts. And then there's my "other Wildcats"-this years K-State FB team.

Last edited:
I have played the game for over 30 years and coached everything from Mites to college, but this last work stoppage might just make me give up interest in the game.

I can still go play and they show a fair amount of college hockey so that it good enough for me.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't get that NY Rangers shield tattoo'ed on my arm.....nobody would know what it is!

My son in net when he played AA..

687.jpg

You might recognize this guy that came out to skate with our kids...

gretzky.jpg

Interesting mix of view points -- no surprise there. For my part, I seriously miss the NHL season. Whether playing or watching, it remains my favorite sport. Besides, it has the classiest fans. :laugh

Attachments

• Classy Chicks.jpg
    Classy Chicks.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 61
My son is a writer and Videographer for an NHL team and he and his friends at work are now cut down to 40% of their (very small) salary while working the same hours for Junior and American hockey leagues. There are a lot of people who work in industries that support all sports teams that get hurt by the greed of millionaires on both sides of these situations. I love hockey but agree with all the sentiment around the 'Pro' level salaries in all major sports being far too high when compared to other professionals in other vocations. However it is a free market and what drives the NHL revenue is TV contracts - I am sure much the same for football, baseball and basketball. Fans who actually go to the games are a much smaller component of the revenue pie for owners so have less influence or voice. Being trapped here in the land of ice and snow - hockey (and other sports) do take the bite out of our long dark winters while we wait for our roads to be free to go riding - so yes I do miss it.

I work about 2 blocks from the Molson Centre, where the Montr?®al Canadians play. Traffic is always a nightmare on game night. Since I do not follow hockey (yes, there are those in Qc who do not), the lock-out can continue for as long as the bickering millionaires wish...I get home much faster now!!!

I'm watching Boston College play Boston U. right now. Great game!

Funny thing is the usual NHL commentators (Doc and Pierre) are calling it.

Back