• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Copper Canyon in 2013?

michaellmcc

:idea
I'm in Austin and am thinking about riding to Copper Canyon in Mexico early in 2013. Probably go via Del Rio and Big Bend and cross the border at Presidio. My riding style is not forced march, rather take the time to enjoy and photograph the sights.

Anyone planning anything similar?

Mike

There are several on ADV with those sort of plans-too early in CC = snow! Also make sure you read on ADV r.e., road to Batopilas road construction.

Right about the snow. Depending on your timing I may be interested. I need a MX re-fuel. A riding partner makes my day. Please keep me posted. I am flexible, retired, experience with the location, and can usually "escape" with enough notice.

You chose a great entry point in Presidio. The people there are much more accommodating than the larger ports of entry.

Ditto on the snow... and fwiw, I don't care what time of year it is, I'd always bring my heated jacked to MX if you're thinking of riding in the higher elevations.

On my last trip I had to lend mine to a riding partner who had, um, less insulation than me and was facing hypothermia when crossing a high mountain pass.

Have a great time! :thumb

Ian

In all honesty & not trying for being argumentative but rather to inform, I have never worn my Gerbings jacket in Mexico high altitudes, even though I had it along as coming from cold weather area in KY. If I had been in the northern areas like CC in winter probably so but otherwise I often zip my vents for 1st half of the day, wear the liner, then back off but otherwise never needed the elec. gear. I have tried to ride every paved mtn they have down there & getting to where I've done most of them. I even zig & zag to catch the "rides" in Mexico such as from the interior & out to the Pacific coast. These hugh areas are always marked by the transition to pine then sometimes pine/fir forest other than some that are barren in the north. When back in TX I found myself as cold as you can get during a near 100 year low around Victoria,TX a few yrs back.

We're headed down to Barranca del Cobre on Jan 2 from New Mexico. This winter looks to be very warm with little to no moisture. I'll be wearing my elec vest under my Olympia Airglide mesh jacket. We've got to wear some warm gear as we are riding down from 7,000 ft. The vest is a perfect compromise. On last years ride to Panama we stashed all our warm gear at a friends in SMA. That worked out the best as we were out 2.5 months and only needed that stuff the first and last few days.

Thanks -

Right about the snow. Depending on your timing I may be interested. I need a MX re-fuel. A riding partner makes my day. Please keep me posted. I am flexible, retired, experience with the location, and can usually "escape" with enough notice.

Sounds great - my timing is flexible. I have preliminary interest from a few local riders also. Safe to share e-mail address here?

In all honesty & not trying for being argumentative but rather to inform, I have never worn my Gerbings jacket in Mexico high altitudes, even though I had it along as coming from cold weather area in KY. I

you've obviously never been sitting in a traffic jam full of tractor trailers in the cold foggy rain at 8000 feet in the dark there, have you? :ha

On 1/4/13 we called off our ride to CC as we got SNOWED OUT of the border. 2 ins of snow on the ground , visibility down to 100 yards , at Columbus / Las Polomas crossing. That is @ 4,000 , ride on to 7,000ft .... no thanks .

Go with somebody:)

I travelled solo a few years ago, GSA1200, same Texas entry to Mexico, got into some trouble:(. Very nice folks there, BUT found myself in the circle of a WAR of Drugs/Guns between the "worst bad guys" and the Mex.Gov't officials going at it. ME in the middle, what bad timing. Some wise Mex.Army saved my SKIN, so I brag about them frequently:). A solo GSA guy looks like a millionaire on a bike, A TARGET! I was told and believed after that day. Just know the "group riding" is / or may be safer, imo and I don't go back without friends. Hindsight; My older Airhead may have been the better choice of bike, just because its not the latest, shiniest, fancy BMW out there. Like that, fit in, don't look rich:). Randy

Visian
My advice is: don't ride at night.
Actually, that's my advice here, too.
And I usually follow my own advice, but certainly in strange areas in Mexico.
dc

Firm Plan for Copper Canyon

A couple of us have firmed up our plan for entering Mexico at Presidio/Ojinaga on Feb 17th... just sayin' in case any other riders are goin' in. Long range weather forecast is pretty good, 34F-68F (for whatever that's worth).:bolt

Back