• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So-long WMVY radio

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
This is too bad, it seems like my favorite radio station WMVY radio has been sold to public radio station WBUR.
WMVY-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMVY
More from the MV Gazette-
http://www.mvgazette.com/news/2012/11/27/radio-station-wmvy-will-be-sold-wbur
It looks like there will be online streaming but I'm not set up for that-currently.
This was a radio station that had a spectacular playlist. When I called, I spoke directly to the DJ.
As it is (was) a relatively low power station, some years back, I went to the trouble of putting up an antenna cut for their frequency and "aimed" it at the station so I could receive their signal.
Goodby great OTH music, DJ's and really clutter free music.
OM

Gary, I've been listening to a steaming wmvy broadcast for the past half hour from my hotel room in Bar Harbor on the iPhone. From the way I read that news release, they aren't going away at all, just selling their fm frequency license.

Gary, I've been listening to a steaming wmvy broadcast for the past half hour from my hotel room in Bar Harbor on the iPhone. From the way I read that news release, they aren't going away at all, just selling their fm frequency license.
Yeah- something like that Tom. In a vehicle, I looked forward to tuning in when I was south of rt44, headed to the cape. From here, I could get it with the Yagi.
Now it appears it will be more of an effort to to listen. How does the radio streaming effect plan usage on the IPhone? Here I could get one of the new internet radios and hook it up here.................in my spare time. :dunno

Depends on your data plan. I have an old "unlimited" data plan and have never bumped against the 3GB "Unlimited Limit" and I have no idea how much I've used.

Video streaming on the ipad uses a lot, audio shouldn't be too bad. It is generally sent at a relatively low bit rate.

Ways to listen: http://www.mvyradio.com/station/ways_to_listen.php

Depends on your data plan. I have an old "unlimited" data plan and have never bumped against the 3GB "Unlimited Limit" and I have no idea how much I've used.

Video streaming on the ipad uses a lot, audio shouldn't be too bad. It is generally sent at a relatively low bit rate.

Ways to listen: http://www.mvyradio.com/station/ways_to_listen.php
:thumb Tom. I'm at 2Gig and my usage has been about 2/10ths of that. The new software in the IPhone doesn't alert you when your on WiFi so it's a little more difficult to keep track of. It's a great station...I usually turn it on around 03:00 when 75 fades :whistle

Good News!

Well for fans of a good music selection I have good news-
WMVY radio has been saved. I has received enough listener support to be on the air for another year! For the full story of the victory, you can read the story via The Martha's Vineyard Gazette :dance

Surprised to find this thread here...my favorite radio station!

The FM signal from the island WAS sold, so no more FM on that frequency. As of now, it does sound like the 96.5FM signal which comes out of Newport RI is going to be back on the air, any day now.

In the meantime, there is the MVY app for iPhones, which works great. I always tuned in when in my garage/workshop, so now I use my iPhone with the app and use an adapter with two RCA plugs that plug into the back of my old Marantz.... Old School amplification of a 3G digital signal!

Love it!

Surprised to find this thread here...my favorite radio station!

The FM signal from the island WAS sold, so no more FM on that frequency. As of now, it does sound like the 96.5FM signal which comes out of Newport RI is going to be back on the air, any day now.

In the meantime, there is the MVY app for iPhones, which works great. I always tuned in when in my garage/workshop, so now I use my iPhone with the app and use an adapter with two RCA plugs that plug into the back of my old Marantz.... Old School amplification of a 3G digital signal!

Love it!
:thumb Yeah the FM transmission went over to WBUR the other day :banghead The next time WBUR sends me a request for a donation, I'm going to write on it- "sent to help WMVY". Gary

SO good to have it back "on air" in the old-school-radio sense... though the signal isn't strong enough to make it halfway up Aquidneck Island.... We can also stream it live with the iPhone and jack...

SO good to have it back "on air" in the old-school-radio sense... though the signal isn't strong enough to make it halfway up Aquidneck Island.... We can also stream it live with the iPhone and jack...
What frequency did you find them on? I haven't had the time to look as it's tough from my location. I had set up a 7el Yagi aimed right at the station for a readable signal and when the atmosphere was cooperating, a great signal. There was repeaters in Newport and I think a couple of other locations- all too weak from here. TIA Gary

I had set up a 7el Yagi aimed right at the station for a readable signal and when the atmosphere was cooperating, a great signal.

I have a 15? element FM VHF Yagi that used to be on the roof until some work was done 5 years ago. It's about 20 feet long. Unfortunately, it never made it back up there. It was one of those super fringe antennas for FM Broadcast band only and I used to listen to college stations all over New England, with superb quieting (and a rotator). Tuner is a Hitachi FT-5500 MKII. Funny thing was that I "met" a dude on one of the music mailing lists way back then that used to work for Hitachi. He had nothing but good things to say about that rig. It has some very sweet demodulation features. I could pull every station out of the weeds. It was amazing to just set the receiver on a frequency and spin the rotator to see what you'd get. Gotta get that thing back up there!

Holy Crap....It's Baaaack!

There are many, many technological options when it comes to streaming mvyradio. We will do our best to make it as easy and as clear as possible, because we want you to have a great listening experience

Because there are so many options and so many variables when it comes to different kinds of streaming devices, the information can be overwhelming if you are new to streaming, or not yet comfortable with technology.

This page is the jumping off point to get you started streaming, to help you trouble shoot, and to offer tutorials if you need them.

Listen on FM in Newport
Listen on my computer
Listen on my iPad
Listen on my Smartphone
Listen to mvyradio in my car
WiFi Internet Radios

I want to listen to mvyradio on FM.
mvyradio can be heard on 88.7FM Martha's Vineyard, 96.5FM and 102.7 HD2-FM in Newport, thanks to Rhode Island Public Radio. 96.5 can be heard using a regular FM radio, in Newport, Middletown and Jamestown. If you have an HD-capable radio, you can hear the same signal on 102.7 HD2-FM.

I stumbled upon this and while it looks like it is best streamed, at least it can be done :dance

Take a peek here http://www.mvyradio.com/ and you can figure out what is best for you.
OM

Back