• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

noise when clutch engages

HOUKSTER

Hi guys,
I have a noise (not ABS) that happens seemingly only when I start the r1100rt (2000) to begin a ride and not at subsequent stops. It sounds a bit like a metal sleeve sliding down a rod then coming to a stop with a slight thump (kind of like the sound of swinging side stand back and up). I don't remember it doing it at stop signs or lights after the initial take-off. Could it be that backing it out of my garage sets something up that has to slide back when initially going forward? It rides great and clutches great otherwise. I had an 1150rt a couple years ago and I think it also did it.

Thats the sound my bike (r1100rt) makes as I move forward for the first time. It is the ABS sensor thing. I know you said no ABS problem, but try this. Start the bike, leave the clutch lever in and coast forward for a few yards, until the ABS lights go out and see if you hear the noise.

Hi guys,
I have a noise (not ABS) that happens seemingly only when I start the r1100rt (2000) to begin a ride and not at subsequent stops. It sounds a bit like a metal sleeve sliding down a rod then coming to a stop with a slight thump Could it be that backing it out of my garage sets something up that has to slide back when initially going forward?

Could be that the clunk you hear is all the accumulated driveline clearances being taken up. Here's a quick and easy way to test it. Go through your normal procedure of starting your bike and backing it out of your driveway (not necessarily in that order) and when you're ready to push off, slowly let out the clutch. When you hear the clunk, pull the clutch back in. Then let the clutch out as you normally would. My money says no clunk the second time.

Soooo, that's normal I take it? It just seems that it is picking up quite a bit of slop if that's the case. It is a metallic sound, not a whirring ABS sound.

when the ABS initializes itself, at about 7-10 mph, there is a light metallic clatter. Always does it at start0up, sometimes does it later in the day coming from a full stop. is that the sound you're hearing? ABS does not "whirr", unless it is the sound of the power assiste pump operating (which your 1100RT does not have).
trying to describe sounds over the interweb is difficult; nearly as tough as diagnosing a sound over the interweb.

You must realize by now that the mantra of the BMW aficionado is that every time a BMW does something unusual the proper response is ÔÇ£they all do thatÔÇØ

Well, in this case it just so happens to be true.They all do that .:D

Thanks guys,
On the sport touring forum a guy described the ABS start up as a scythe being rubbed by a sharpening stone and then a light clank. Exactly what I hear.
Yeay!

Thanks guys,
On the sport touring forum a guy described the ABS start up as a scythe being rubbed by a sharpening stone and then a light clank. Exactly what I hear.
Yeay!

That guy is either Amish or a future stand-in for the Grim Reaper.
or both

Back