• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Forum Blocked ?

Not likely. Until the MOA makes modifications to vBulletin you will continue to have problems. I can't tell you how many times I have had vBulletin and phpBB tell me that if I updated all my sites to the latest level, all my problems with dirtbags would go away. The fact is, that these guys (vBulletin and others) have no clue how to protect you, and nor do they care. You should count your luck stars that only MOA members can register. Otherwise, you would have to deal with tens of thousands of auto-bot registrations per day.

I agree. Any board is a target. It's bad enough when users create havoc, but much worse when someone malicious gains admin privileges. vBulletin can be made more secure, at the expense of ease of use. Like never exposing an admin's ID to viewers, forcing use of strong passwords, implementing effective CAPTCHA challenges, make admins undeletable/unalterable (and several other changes), and by limiting posting frequency. Each helps minimize problems, but will not eliminate them.

It's not MOA members. I've seen posts where someone places a want to buy ad and non members who are scammers reply.

Still not sure I get this.
- There are no "posts" (as in forum posts) in the Flea Market. There are only ads.
- Only logged in MOA members can post and ad and only logged in MOA members can reply.
- There is no public access to the current Flea Market. Members only.
- The ads contain a link to reply to which is strictly between the MOA seller and the MOA buyer.

Maybe a link to these posts you've seen would be helpful. :dunno

Not having any luck with the search function, even when I try the member who I think is one that warned about this problem.
Sorry I brought the subject up.
Must have been a bad dream I had and made the whole thing up.

I would like to thank the staff working on the BBS for all their efforts in maintaining the system and resolving the current issues. I appreciate the time required in doing all this. :thumb

Merry Christmas to everyone !

- There are no "posts" (as in forum posts) in the Flea Market. There are only ads.
- Only logged in MOA members can post and ad and only logged in MOA members can reply.
- There is no public access to the current Flea Market. Members only.
- The ads contain a link to reply to which is strictly between the MOA seller and the MOA buyer.

Lee is right, there has been a problem with scammers in the Flea Market for years. Whether they get in through a hack or just joined the MOA to get access, there have been times when 100% of people placing a "WTB" ad have been contacted by these guys. All email I have traced from those approached who have cooperated with me, and pickup confirmations from Western Union and MoneyGram, have all led directly back to Nigeria.

As for links, do a search. There are several long running threads with plenty of posts from victims and almost-victims with plenty of detail. Also, plenty of posts from me warning of these guys and working hard to inform folks how not to get taken.

Lee is right, there has been a problem with scammers in the Flea Market for years. Whether they get in through a hack or just joined the MOA to get access, there have been times when 100% of people placing a "WTB" ad have been contacted by these guys. All email I have traced from those approached who have cooperated with me, and pickup confirmations from Western Union and MoneyGram, have all led directly back to Nigeria.

As for links, do a search. There are several long running threads with plenty of posts from victims and almost-victims with plenty of detail. Also, plenty of posts from me warning of these guys and working hard to inform folks how not to get taken.

Thanks for providing some explanation on this. It's the first I have ever heard of Nigerian scammers on our Flea Market or of anyone tracking them down. In my short time with the MOA I've had nothing but good experiences on the Flea Market and was not aware there were problems. Like Lee I have not had any success searching for info on this problem. What forum do you post these warnings in? Again, links to facts and useful information are always helpful.

Thanks for providing some explanation on this. It's the first I have ever heard of Nigerian scammers on our Flea Market or of anyone tracking them down. In my short time with the MOA I've had nothing but good experiences on the Flea Market and was not aware there were problems. Like Lee I have not had any success searching for info on this problem. What forum do you post these warnings in? Again, links to facts and useful information are always helpful.

It looks like the conversion process is ongoing - there are several 100+ post threads on the scammers that I imagine will show up as data is brought over into the new forum software. This only happens to folks who post an advertisement in the "WTB" section, and usually involves the scammer replying to a WTB saying he has the part, is from England giving a +44 70xxxx number (which is simply an autoforwarding number using a UK country code - see: http://tinyurl.com/ckhxbof), and will send it right away upon receiving the funds via Western Union or MoneyGram.

Unfortunately more than a few members have been taken by these guys. The best way to protect oneself is to never use Western Union or MoneyGram, and run, don't walk, from any transaction where this method of payment is suggested or where the other party gives a +44 70xxxxx phone number.

It looks like the conversion process is ongoing - there are several 100+ post threads on the scammers that I imagine will show up as data is brought over into the new forum software. This only happens to folks who post an advertisement in the "WTB" section, and usually involves the scammer replying to a WTB saying he has the part, is from England giving a +44 70xxxx number (which is simply an autoforwarding number using a UK country code - see: http://tinyurl.com/ckhxbof), and will send it right away upon receiving the funds via Western Union or MoneyGram.

Unfortunately more than a few members have been taken by these guys. The best way to protect oneself is to never use Western Union or MoneyGram, and run, don't walk, from any transaction where this method of payment is suggested or where the other party gives a +44 70xxxxx phone number.
From the Best of Forum series, all about the scams. Thanks again Ted. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?51032-Just-send-the-Western-Union

From the Best of Forum series, all about the scams. Thanks again Ted. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?51032-Just-send-the-Western-Union

Thanks for the link. Search has not worked well for me since the update.
I went back and tried again using Advanced Search
Used keyword of Scammers and selected Titles
Entered Ted as the user
Selected Campfire as the forum to look in and I got zero results.

If I leave Ted out of the search, I get two results from 2004.
If I change the search from Titles to Posts, I get zero results.

Well this is a good thing to know. I normally make sure I have at least one phone conversation with the people I buy things from which is a good way to avoid this sort of thing. I'm also surprised to learn that they managed to log in to our Flea Market so easily. I was asking Lee about this stuff since I never heard about it before. The Flea Market is a great benefit to membership. I use it and know several folks who use it often as well. Thanks to you both for this info.

Thanks for the link. Search has not worked well for me since the update.
I went back and tried again using Advanced Search
Used keyword of Scammers and selected Titles
Entered Ted as the user
Selected Campfire as the forum to look in and I got zero results.

Hate to say it Lee, I haven't had real good luck on searches either. That's why important posts, events or even this latest upgrade I get into a Best of Forum. I also "Tag" threads with what seem to be keywords so a search will be somewhat more productive.
One of the "best" ways of searching involves remembering a "key" word as so many of the posts have the same words in them IE. motorcycle, oil, final drive, GPS. With the common words one usually gets 1000 possibilities. Of course there is the old "does anybody remember the thread on "Center-stands for a F800gs?" OM

The index will be rebuilt in time, this is all a pretty intense undertaking and my hat is off to those toiling behind the scenes to make it happen.

In the meantime Brin and Page have arranged a workaround :D

Just do a search in Google, but tell Google you only want it to search in the BMW MOA Forums. You do this with the "site:" command. For instance, if I wanted to search for all my posts about scammers I would probably search for my name and "Western Union" with quotes to find that exact term, as good old WU is a common element of most scams. So, I would type something like this in the Google search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org/ Ted "Western Union"

Voila - all the posts :) Click that to see it in action.

Just replace the search terms (Ted and "Western Union") with whatever you are looking for. This works for any site you want, for example.... ;)

The index will be rebuilt in time, this is all a pretty intense undertaking and my hat is off to those toiling behind the scenes to make it happen.

In the meantime Brin and Page have arranged a workaround :D

Just do a search in Google, but tell Google you only want it to search in the BMW MOA Forums. You do this with the "site:" command. For instance, if I wanted to search for all my posts about scammers I would probably search for my name and "Western Union" with quotes to find that exact term, as good old WU is a common element of most scams. So, I would type something like this in the Google search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org/ Ted "Western Union"

Voila - all the posts :) Click that to see it in action.

Just replace the search terms (Ted and "Western Union") with whatever you are looking for. This works for any site you want, for example.... ;)

Thanks for the good tip :thumb

I'd suggest that you clear your cache/cookies. This was a problem last week but should be resolved by now.

I'd suggest that you clear your cache/cookies. This was a problem last week but should be resolved by now.

Kurt,
Thanks pard.. I thought I did.. but Interesting that I thought this was the first time I clicked from this new PC... I'll make sure I clear it out.....:nra

Looks like the OP beat me to it! I guess I didn't pay attention to the link that was there...maybe it could have been a problem... :dunno

Back