Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Forum Blocked ?

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Lee is right, there has been a problem with scammers in the Flea Market for years. Whether they get in through a hack or just joined the MOA to get access, there have been times when 100% of people placing a "WTB" ad have been contacted by these guys. All email I have traced from those approached who have cooperated with me, and pickup confirmations from Western Union and MoneyGram, have all led directly back to Nigeria.

As for links, do a search. There are several long running threads with plenty of posts from victims and almost-victims with plenty of detail. Also, plenty of posts from me warning of these guys and working hard to inform folks how not to get taken.
    Thanks for providing some explanation on this. It's the first I have ever heard of Nigerian scammers on our Flea Market or of anyone tracking them down. In my short time with the MOA I've had nothing but good experiences on the Flea Market and was not aware there were problems. Like Lee I have not had any success searching for info on this problem. What forum do you post these warnings in? Again, links to facts and useful information are always helpful.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Thanks for providing some explanation on this. It's the first I have ever heard of Nigerian scammers on our Flea Market or of anyone tracking them down. In my short time with the MOA I've had nothing but good experiences on the Flea Market and was not aware there were problems. Like Lee I have not had any success searching for info on this problem. What forum do you post these warnings in? Again, links to facts and useful information are always helpful.
    It looks like the conversion process is ongoing - there are several 100+ post threads on the scammers that I imagine will show up as data is brought over into the new forum software. This only happens to folks who post an advertisement in the "WTB" section, and usually involves the scammer replying to a WTB saying he has the part, is from England giving a +44 70xxxx number (which is simply an autoforwarding number using a UK country code - see: http://tinyurl.com/ckhxbof), and will send it right away upon receiving the funds via Western Union or MoneyGram.

Unfortunately more than a few members have been taken by these guys. The best way to protect oneself is to never use Western Union or MoneyGram, and run, don't walk, from any transaction where this method of payment is suggested or where the other party gives a +44 70xxxxx phone number.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

It looks like the conversion process is ongoing - there are several 100+ post threads on the scammers that I imagine will show up as data is brought over into the new forum software. This only happens to folks who post an advertisement in the "WTB" section, and usually involves the scammer replying to a WTB saying he has the part, is from England giving a +44 70xxxx number (which is simply an autoforwarding number using a UK country code - see: http://tinyurl.com/ckhxbof), and will send it right away upon receiving the funds via Western Union or MoneyGram.

Unfortunately more than a few members have been taken by these guys. The best way to protect oneself is to never use Western Union or MoneyGram, and run, don't walk, from any transaction where this method of payment is suggested or where the other party gives a +44 70xxxxx phone number.
    From the Best of Forum series, all about the scams. Thanks again Ted. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....-Western-Union
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From the Best of Forum series, all about the scams. Thanks again Ted. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....-Western-Union
    Thanks for the link. Search has not worked well for me since the update.
    I went back and tried again using Advanced Search
    Used keyword of Scammers and selected Titles
    Entered Ted as the user
    Selected Campfire as the forum to look in and I got zero results.

If I leave Ted out of the search, I get two results from 2004.
    If I change the search from Titles to Posts, I get zero results.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Well this is a good thing to know. I normally make sure I have at least one phone conversation with the people I buy things from which is a good way to avoid this sort of thing. I'm also surprised to learn that they managed to log in to our Flea Market so easily. I was asking Lee about this stuff since I never heard about it before. The Flea Market is a great benefit to membership. I use it and know several folks who use it often as well. Thanks to you both for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the link. Search has not worked well for me since the update.
    I went back and tried again using Advanced Search
    Used keyword of Scammers and selected Titles
    Entered Ted as the user
    Selected Campfire as the forum to look in and I got zero results.

Hate to say it Lee, I haven't had real good luck on searches either. That's why important posts, events or even this latest upgrade I get into a Best of Forum. I also "Tag" threads with what seem to be keywords so a search will be somewhat more productive.
    One of the "best" ways of searching involves remembering a "key" word as so many of the posts have the same words in them IE. motorcycle, oil, final drive, GPS. With the common words one usually gets 1000 possibilities. Of course there is the old "does anybody remember the thread on "Center-stands for a F800gs?" OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The index will be rebuilt in time, this is all a pretty intense undertaking and my hat is off to those toiling behind the scenes to make it happen.

In the meantime Brin and Page have arranged a workaround

Just do a search in Google, but tell Google you only want it to search in the BMW MOA Forums. You do this with the "site:" command. For instance, if I wanted to search for all my posts about scammers I would probably search for my name and "Western Union" with quotes to find that exact term, as good old WU is a common element of most scams. So, I would type something like this in the Google search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org/ Ted "Western Union"

Voila - all the posts Click that to see it in action.

Just replace the search terms (Ted and "Western Union") with whatever you are looking for. This works for any site you want, for example....
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

The index will be rebuilt in time, this is all a pretty intense undertaking and my hat is off to those toiling behind the scenes to make it happen.

In the meantime Brin and Page have arranged a workaround

Just do a search in Google, but tell Google you only want it to search in the BMW MOA Forums. You do this with the "site:" command. For instance, if I wanted to search for all my posts about scammers I would probably search for my name and "Western Union" with quotes to find that exact term, as good old WU is a common element of most scams. So, I would type something like this in the Google search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org/ Ted "Western Union"

Voila - all the posts Click that to see it in action.

Just replace the search terms (Ted and "Western Union") with whatever you are looking for. This works for any site you want, for example....
    Thanks for the good tip
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I'd suggest that you clear your cache/cookies. This was a problem last week but should be resolved by now.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I'd suggest that you clear your cache/cookies. This was a problem last week but should be resolved by now.

Kurt,
    Thanks pard.. I thought I did.. but Interesting that I thought this was the first time I clicked from this new PC... I'll make sure I clear it out.....

Kurt, somebody should delete that post or at least that attachment immediately.

Looks like the OP beat me to it! I guess I didn't pay attention to the link that was there...maybe it could have been a problem...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Looks like the OP beat me to it! I guess I didn't pay attention to the link that was there...maybe it could have been a problem...
    Don't know what was in it.
    Just going on the name of the file it's better safe than sorry.