• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshields for airheads

RCOCKRUM

Sheep Dog
Restoring an R90/6 with a Velorex sidecar. Wanting to put a windshield on the bike. Thinking about the Parabellum Sport Shield. Anyone have experience with this shield? Any other recommendations?

I use Nat Cycle Plexistar2 on all my /2,/5,/6 BMW & GS500 Suz
I look over the top but get a very good still air pocket at my face - don't smoke but could at highway speed

Although I have short limbs - I sit quite tall on a bike

An important issue for you to consider with the sidecar is the interaction between the sidecar
windshield and the bike windshield and your right underarm - a bad matchup here will spill
a lot of cold air and rain up under your armpit if the combination is not right

If you should choose to use the Plexistar2 - PM me and I will show you a better way to mount
the thing than going strictly by the mfgr instr.

Attachments

• Plexistar 2.jpg
    Plexistar 2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 396
The Nat. Cycle is the other windshield I was considering. Never thought about the 2 shields working to create a wind tunnel up the arm pit. Had a lot of bikes over the years, but this is my first sidecar rig.

I've had Parabellum on a K75 and found it to be of the highest possible quality. You can get various size screens to change if you like. The people are very good to work with. One issue though is that there is no adjustment to the mounting.

I've had National screens on several bikes and found them to be also of high quality, easily removed and almost infinitely variable in the angle you can put to the wind.

How either might work in conjunction with a side car screen though is unknown to me.

I have the Parabellum Scout on my R75 and am quite happy. Charlie was very helpful in making some mods so that it clears my Heinrich tank.

+1 for "Chaly"

He (and Brenda) have now been at the fairing business longer than his former boss; Craig Vetter.

Restoring an R90/6 with a Velorex sidecar. Wanting to put a windshield on the bike. Thinking about the Parabellum Sport Shield. Anyone have experience with this shield? Any other recommendations?

Awesome - best of luck. I've got an R90/6 with a Ural. Its a looker and fun to drive - not ride. No shield on the bike. Hadn't thought about it till just this morning - 36 degrees out. That's how I came upon this thread. :D

What did you go with?

Going with the Parabellum. Probably has less coverage than the National, but i think it looks more old school. Bike and sidecar are in pieces right now. Tank, fenders and Velorex are being painted. Just ordered the windshield for the sidecar, going to order the bike shield next week. Trying to spread out the purchases. Seriously considering having the bike and hack seats reupholstered in brown. Rig will be Granada Red which I think was a color option at some point for the airheads.

Got any pics of yours to post?

Yup. Not too far from the Gnaw Mart... or what would become the Gnaw Mart. "Down town" is considered the south side of 46.

"S" Fairing

I have an '83 R100 and an "S" fairing with a Parabelam shield which fits on the "S" fairing availible in different heights like 14,16,and 20 inch,I got the 16 inch.Looks cool and I like it.Had there sports shield didn't like it and it broke.

Back