• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mix Shocks??

bobr9

Looking to upgrade my stock shocks on a 99 R1100RT with 32k. Am considering buying used to save some bucks. My question is whether or not it is considered bad form to mix stocks, such as a works performance on the front and Ohlins on the rear, or some other combination. Although I suspect this is obviously not an optimal solution, am sondering if it is a viable one and if others have done this. I am assuming if I do mix I could adjust them to match with regards to rider weight, driving style, etc. Thoughts???

I have an Elka on the rear and a Hagon up front which is soon to be replaced by a revalved stock unit. Bad Form is my middle name. :laugh

If the shocks work, use 'em.

Front and rear are completely different shocks, even if both are the same brand.

The most important thing is, as stated, the proper spring rates for your weight and loading range. You need to be able to properly set the sag for the shocks to work correctly. From there the damping is almost infinitely adjustable on most quality aftermarket units.

Me Ohlins rear/Fox front work superb, track and street.

I too have Ohlins on the rear and Fox on the front of my RS; no problems in 50k+ miles. I suppose I could paint the Fox yellow/gold to match :p.

Back