• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R75/5 Leaking Carburetor & ON/OFF Clutch Issues (Please Help)

I had both those issues on my '79 RT. I fixed the carb problem by installing some inexpensive fuel line filters from Auto Zone. The clutch sticking was from lack of use. Just ride the heck out of it. I have both issues covered on my blog if you'd like to check it out.

3' of braided fuel line from a VW dealer or a BMW mc parts dealer will be good for several years of service, with quite a bit left over for replacement of those bits that typically develop leaks The most time consuming line is the one through the air filter housing. Yes, one has more leaks because of the fuel lines than any other reason. In line filters just below each petcock should be standard on ALL gasoline engines.

I go through a lot of 5 gallon cans of gas here on my place with log splitter, tiller, branch chipper, chain saws, leaf blowers, and generators going through perhaps 5 gallons every other week or more. When I empty a can, plastic now adays with the hated flow inhibitor, I always look down inside to check out the debris......Almost ALWAYS there will be crud down inside. This for me, comes from the place where I get my fuel as I take care to keep the nozzle and filter funnels clean.............Diesel is even worse as there will ALWAYS be globs of dark brown gunk floating in the bottom...........THIS IS WHY I use Stabil or an enzyme product and Lucas fuel treatment in my storage gasoline. Each machine except the blowers and chain saws have an inline fuel filter.........Actually, the chain saws and blowers have filters down in the tank from the manufacturer...........

Surely not to start some kind of gasoline thread but passing along an observation that totally effects our MC's especially this time of year when we put them away for who knows how long between rides........

Didn't the /5's have a wavy washer there in the clutch and brake handles that helped take the "slop" out of they way they fit??? Been awhile since my /5 days but somethin back in the ol memory that is left seems to strike a bell......I f so would be surely easy to loose .......God bless......Dennis

Didn't the /5's have a wavy washer there in the clutch and brake handles that helped take the "slop" out of they way they fit???

Excellent recall Dennis. #17

B0000666.png

And yes, it was very easy to lose.. .. .

32721230871_1_B.jpg

Aha! Ok. Ill be ordering a new one of these.

Out of curiosity, should I grease the clutch lever or anything of the sort maintenance wise?

I was reading Duane Aushermans page but didnt see any mention of it.

Oddly enough I have heard numerous people mention they had a nylon bushing in their lever. But yeah juding from the parts diagram it doesnt seem like the r75/5 has them.

As for grease on the clutch bushing thing/etc... what is best to use? Ill need to pick some up from an auto parts store.

Oddly enough I have heard numerous people mention they had a nylon bushing in their lever. But yeah juding from the parts diagram it doesnt seem like the r75/5 has them.

QUOTE]

As with many other forums, thread count does NOT equal credibility. Nuff said

Yes, you do need to put a dab of grease on the small union where the cable joins the lever and on where that part pivots in the grip housing. Other than that perhaps some PB Blaster on the handle/housing pivot point. Yes, from time to time some electical contact cleaner into your switch............Plain ol grease works just fine of this job........God bless........Dennis

Back