• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flashlights ?????

Fenix L2cd all the light you could want, long runtime and uses AA batteries. Unbelievable how much light a high quality regulated light can put out!

Fenix L2cd all the light you could want, long runtime and uses AA batteries. Unbelievable how much light a high quality regulated light can put out!

I had two Fenix lights fail on me. I won't buy another. I own more flashlights than Zeus.

Attachments

• Zeus.jpg
    Zeus.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 734
Weapons mags;

All these weapons magazines have dozens of light options, most with blinding powerful lights. My Son in Law has one that uses one battery and produces so much powerful light, I am amazed. One battery and lasts and lasts. The new stuff out now is incredible. I bought a cheap(10$) throwaway led light at a truck stop 2 years ago. You know those plastic sealed units, firefighters recommend and all advertiseing? Still going strong, no issues. Very bright too:). Randy

Let there be light. . .

The older I get, the more light I need -- and I need it RIGHT where I need it.

I'm always searching for a light that will AIM hands-free, both for use in the garage and on the road. (Airhead rider.)

Lowe's (and probably others) sell a light that will surprise you: Called a "Night-Ize" it looks just like a four-legged spider. Only ONE LED, and it takes a flat-type battery (Radio Shack, etc.)

Sorry, can't post a picture, but the "body" of the spider is about 1.5" and the bendable legs are each about 3". THESE BENDABLE LEGS ARE WHAT MAKES THIS DEVICE SPECIAL, as they can be bent to hold the light very precisely where you need it. I think it was around $7 or so.

Don't know about you, but I've got plenty of other lights, some corded, some not, some with magnets, etc., and NONE of them have ever been quite satisfactory for mechanic work because I can't get the light exactly where needed. Problem solved. Even with only ONE LED, this light can be precisely aimed ANYWHERE by use of the four bendable legs. Frankly, I was surprised at what a difference it made to have the light exactly aimed at what you're doing! Also, easy to take along in the tool-tray.

Try it, and you may be surprised at how useful this is.

Walking Eagle

The new hyper bright lights are wonderful. In addition to one of these I like to have an old fashioned 2D or 2C type or a mini led one.

My night vision (such as it is at my age) seems to return faster when exposed to a dimmer light source than the brighter ones.

Looking for something in your tent or finding your way to the restroom don't usually require a blinding light source.

Dimmer lighting might also be a courtesy to your camping neighbors.

I LIKE Bright!

Especially those night trips to potty and in bear country. Bears cannot see so well with bright lights in their eyes:). That dark fuzzy thing(tree stump or bear) in the immediate area, just outside of lights reach bothers me a lot. I want bright and accurate lighting. Maybe adjustable would be nice. I'd really like one of those million candlepower, burn the fur off anything in the night light! Had one, but not biker friendly, needing a nuclear power source, but work sooooo fine on my ranch property:). .....Randy

LED flashlight prices have really come down during the past few years. Many good ones are available for a few bucks. Get several small compact ones and stow them where you'll need them (top case, side cases, jacket pockets). That way they're always handy, and if you loose one, it's no big deal.

Especially those night trips to potty and in bear country. Bears cannot see so well with bright lights in their eyes:). That dark fuzzy thing(tree stump or bear) in the immediate area, just outside of lights reach bothers me a lot. I want bright and accurate lighting. Maybe adjustable would be nice. I'd really like one of those million candlepower, burn the fur off anything in the night light! Had one, but not biker friendly, needing a nuclear power source, but work sooooo fine on my ranch property:). .....Randy

This will blind your bears!
I will say it one last time and back it up with pics. THE BEST light I ever had is under $10!!, and easily fits in your pocket.

The contenders, 3-D cell halogen Maglight ($25), Nebo redline ($35), Sipik CK-90($35) and the BEST Sipik SK68 ($8ish) ALL fully charged batteries, all max zoom.

P1020330.JPG

Same order the brightest is the smallest (it does go square zoomed in) Garage is 60' away

P1020325.JPG

Silo 250-300' away with the $8 light zoomed in

P1020327.JPG

Garage with $8 light zoomed out @60'

P1020329.JPG

Size reference, fits in pocket, tank bag, can be held with your teeth while you work, or finish your late night call of nature, etc.

P1020331.JPG

In my tankbag rides a Wal Mart Energizer headlamp with white/red/blue light options along with a Fenix E21 handheld light. On my Glock 17 is mounted a Streamlight TLR-1.

I used to love these. Easy to hold in your teeth while you work on something -- never did warm up to headlamps, and the machined aluminum ones are a tough teething lesson.

8230762011_ed604515f9_o.jpg

Headlights are quite possibly the best thing ever for personal lighthing.

I've been pleased so far with the Fenix TK 15 that I purchased from REI last month.

I had a third Fenix fail last week. I own one more, and don't have high hopes for its longevity. Three down, one to go.

Great lights when they work, but there are either design or quality issues.

Don't pay too much

I think paying too much for one flashlight it not be the best idea. There are some very good lights that don't cost a lot and having more then one might be the best plan.
LED lights the trend, and they use the least battery life per hour of use.

I recently bought a Fenix light- 300+ lumen output for 70+/- $$. Somewhat chagrined to read the poster's comments who said he has had issues with this brand ( tho I belatedly find they ARE made in China). I also own a high out-put (120 +/- lumens) Surfire. I typically carry at least one headlamp along on the bike, I use Petzl brand. I also have an older light, by Pelican. All my lights are LED.

I would rather pay higher $$ for industrial strength quality, than throw money at the Chinese for their crap products. Normally, I avoid Chinese goods like the plague, tho did get duped into the Fenix, lured in by the output,

I also use my lights at work, where high output and indestructability are key.

I have heard others say bad things about the reliability of Fenix products. Usually the LD10 model. The complaint always seems to be about the on/off switch and how it does not hold up, or is inconsistent on it's reliability.

I own two Fenix products, the LD10, listed above, and the E21. Of the two, my favorite is the smaller LD10, however I have had minor problems with it not turning on a couple of times. I have never had any problems with the E21 model, ever.

The LD10 has a strobe function built in to the on/off switch and I think this is where the problem is. They are just asking to much out of the components. If they would put the plain switch from the E21 into the LD10, then they should have a good product.

I have also had the chance to work with two flashlights made by a company called Sunwayman, of all things. What a weird name for a company. They have a little angle head flashlight called a L10A. I like it. Powered by one AA battery, it seems to work well(so far). The other is a model called R20A. It is powered by two AA batteries and features a three way switch to change the light's brightness. No problems with the Sunwayman lights.

Tom, What Fenix lights have you used?

Tom, What Fenix lights have you used?

They have all been different. I've had better luck with the two or three flashlight blister packs from Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club.

I repair church organs for a living and always carry a couple or three lights in the tool bag. When they die, they immediately get tossed in the trash (like ballpoint pens that stop working).

Pretty much everything comes on the boat from China, and much of it is extremely high quality, so I tend not to blame the country of origin.

Okay, here we go -- from old email receipts:

Fenix LD01R2
Fenix PD30R2
Fenix TK11
Fenix L2T

Back