• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

changing fork bearing 75 R90/6

BARBERSHOP

Can someone post a pic of the tool I need to remove the lower triple clamp bearing? Or describe how I can remove it with out a puller?

I think I can rent a race puller, but not sure what puller I need for the lower bearing.

Greg

I found this picture:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=722213&postcount=224

in amongst the various rebuild sites that are posted here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50991

Not much organization among the rebuild sites...you kind of have to open one and look or search within the thread.

Other ways to go after the lower bearing is to use a dremel and cut the outer bearing cage and then very, very carefully go after the inner race. Get close to the stem and then use a cold chisel to break the inner race.

Another way is to use a welder (MIG, TIG, I have no clue!) and hit the race with a weld and it will basically drop off.

Is there a reason to replace the bearings? Do you see evidence of denting or hammering the race? If the bearing is OK, it may be possible to clean the bearing in-place and force grease into it.

Thanks for the pics and advice, I now know what Im looking for and how to get the bearing and race off.

For the record, my top bearing and race are fine but the bottom race has several rough spots, I tried to lightly clean it, repack and put back together, but wasnt what I want.

Thanks again
Greg

Back