• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

HID Conversion for a R1200 GS

A

arturo@digit5.com

Can somebody help me on the pros and cons of doing a HID upgrade to a 2012 R1200GS?

Any good kits on the market?

Thanks

The biggest con to any HID conversion is the light pattern. Your headlamp reflectors are designed for bulbs with filaments in certain locations and with certain orientations. When an H4 or H7 bulb is replaced by an HID bulb, the change in filament position means the light isn't going where intended. That's why the Feds can fine any company selling HID conversion kits up to $5000 per kit sold, and why some kit providers are no longer in business.

I did the one-off motorsports conversing on my 1200 they are super, went with the 4500 bulbs. Oneoff now out of business but several other good brands out their

HID cons

The biggest con to any HID conversion is the light pattern. Your headlamp reflectors are designed for bulbs with filaments in certain locations and with certain orientations. When an H4 or H7 bulb is replaced by an HID bulb, the change in filament position means the light isn't going where intended. That's why the Feds can fine any company selling HID conversion kits up to $5000 per kit sold, and why some kit providers are no longer in business.

Does this mean is not an adviceable upgrade? i would love to have better light performance not just the looks...

I think the best bet is HID auxiliary lights with reflectors designed for the specific capsules installed in the lights.

One issue is warm up time. Well aimed lights on full time but not as high beams that blind oncoming drivers would be my choice.

In fact the warmup time issue is the reason auto makers at least retain a halogen bulb for the "flasher" as HIDs aren't much use for this.

No, the really best way to own a GS with HID lighting may be to wait for the waterboxer. Of course it may have LED lighting instead.

Piaa

Any experience on the PIAA xtreme white bulbs?

Thanks

I think the best bet is HID auxiliary lights with reflectors designed for the specific capsules installed in the lights.

One issue is warm up time. Well aimed lights on full time but not as high beams that blind oncoming drivers would be my choice.

Thanks Paul, sounds reasonable....

Does this mean is not an adviceable upgrade? i would love to have better light performance not just the looks...

I agree that better lighting is necessary. However, many of the conversions I've seen on the road give the same effect as having the high beam on all the time. It's very annoying and somewhat unsafe for approaching drivers. I like Paul's idea to fit auxiliary lights.

I agree that better lighting is necessary. However, many of the conversions I've seen on the road give the same effect as having the high beam on all the time. It's very annoying and somewhat unsafe for approaching drivers. I like Paul's idea to fit auxiliary lights.

Will do so..., do any bulb upgrade works?... any experience with the PIAA extreme white?

Regards

arturo:

I did a HID headlight conversion on my R1150RS, and I wouldn't do it again, due to the reflecter incompatibility.

The better way to go is with HID auxiliary lights, as Paul says. And the nice thing about GS's is that you can hang all kinds of stuff on them.

I put an HID in my 07 GS and loved it. The light pattern was great and with a bit of a down angle on the light, on coming cars were not distracted by it. I actually put HID in both my low and hi beam. The hi beam did not work as well due to the warm up time, but once warmed up, the hi beam was fantastic.

When I sold my GS, I took the bulb and ballast out for the hi beam and installed it in my LT. Great light. Pretty much if any reflective material is within sight, the light will hit it and show me the way, much farther away than the actual beam pattern on the road.

You can use H7 +30 or +50 bulbs (like Sylvania Silverstars or GE Nighthawks) but the rated life decreases in proportion to the increase in brightness. Since the R1200GS is somewhat hard on low beam bulbs it can mean a lot of bulb replacement. I have had good performance from an Osram H7 Rallye which is an H9 burner on an H7 base. It is about 150% the light output of a standard H7 (2100 lumens vs 1450 lumens standard) with an increase from 55 watts (standard H7) to 65 watts. Since the filament is in the same location as a standard H7 the reflector functions as designed and the light pattern is the same as stock (but brighter). I have used them in both high and low beams for about two years now with no problems.
I have used an H4 Rallye (100/90 watt) in my K100RS for the past 25 years (same bulb) and had no problems as well.

2 things-
1) my R1100S has had HIDs hi & lo for about 8 yars now. outstanding light, no parts replaced yet, only hi beam draws requests from drivers (on-coming or directly in front of me in same path of travel) to turn the volume down. [yay! they saw me!!]. Signs reflect back at me in bright sunlight in the middle of the day!

2) you asked this question in relationship to your R1200GS. that is a very bike specific question... so why not post it in Camheads/Hexheads where it most rightly belongs?, (and is most likely to get the best draw of responses.

MODS- clean up on Aisle M!!

Back