Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: HID Conversion for a R1200 GS

  1. #1
    arturo@digit5.com
    Guest

    HID Conversion for a R1200 GS

    Can somebody help me on the pros and cons of doing a HID upgrade to a 2012 R1200GS?

    Any good kits on the market?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User f14rio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    mattituck new york
    Posts
    1,081
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

    2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    277
    The biggest con to any HID conversion is the light pattern. Your headlamp reflectors are designed for bulbs with filaments in certain locations and with certain orientations. When an H4 or H7 bulb is replaced by an HID bulb, the change in filament position means the light isn't going where intended. That's why the Feds can fine any company selling HID conversion kits up to $5000 per kit sold, and why some kit providers are no longer in business.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    396
    I did the one-off motorsports conversing on my 1200 they are super, went with the 4500 bulbs. Oneoff now out of business but several other good brands out their

  5. #5
    arturo@digit5.com
    Guest

    HID cons

    Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    The biggest con to any HID conversion is the light pattern. Your headlamp reflectors are designed for bulbs with filaments in certain locations and with certain orientations. When an H4 or H7 bulb is replaced by an HID bulb, the change in filament position means the light isn't going where intended. That's why the Feds can fine any company selling HID conversion kits up to $5000 per kit sold, and why some kit providers are no longer in business.
    Does this mean is not an adviceable upgrade? i would love to have better light performance not just the looks...

  6. #6
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,940
    I think the best bet is HID auxiliary lights with reflectors designed for the specific capsules installed in the lights.

    One issue is warm up time. Well aimed lights on full time but not as high beams that blind oncoming drivers would be my choice.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  7. #7
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,953
    In fact the warmup time issue is the reason auto makers at least retain a halogen bulb for the "flasher" as HIDs aren't much use for this.

    No, the really best way to own a GS with HID lighting may be to wait for the waterboxer. Of course it may have LED lighting instead.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  8. #8
    arturo@digit5.com
    Guest

    Piaa

    Any experience on the PIAA xtreme white bulbs?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    arturo@digit5.com
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think the best bet is HID auxiliary lights with reflectors designed for the specific capsules installed in the lights.

    One issue is warm up time. Well aimed lights on full time but not as high beams that blind oncoming drivers would be my choice.
    Thanks Paul, sounds reasonable....

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by arturo View Post
    Does this mean is not an adviceable upgrade? i would love to have better light performance not just the looks...
    I agree that better lighting is necessary. However, many of the conversions I've seen on the road give the same effect as having the high beam on all the time. It's very annoying and somewhat unsafe for approaching drivers. I like Paul's idea to fit auxiliary lights.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

  11. #11
    arturo@digit5.com
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    I agree that better lighting is necessary. However, many of the conversions I've seen on the road give the same effect as having the high beam on all the time. It's very annoying and somewhat unsafe for approaching drivers. I like Paul's idea to fit auxiliary lights.
    Will do so..., do any bulb upgrade works?... any experience with the PIAA extreme white?

    Regards

  12. #12
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,362
    arturo:

    I did a HID headlight conversion on my R1150RS, and I wouldn't do it again, due to the reflecter incompatibility.

    The better way to go is with HID auxiliary lights, as Paul says. And the nice thing about GS's is that you can hang all kinds of stuff on them.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  13. #13
    Registered User sit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    296
    I put an HID in my 07 GS and loved it. The light pattern was great and with a bit of a down angle on the light, on coming cars were not distracted by it. I actually put HID in both my low and hi beam. The hi beam did not work as well due to the warm up time, but once warmed up, the hi beam was fantastic.

    When I sold my GS, I took the bulb and ballast out for the hi beam and installed it in my LT. Great light. Pretty much if any reflective material is within sight, the light will hit it and show me the way, much farther away than the actual beam pattern on the road.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

  14. #14
    Registered User Paladinwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC South Central Interior
    Posts
    115
    You can use H7 +30 or +50 bulbs (like Sylvania Silverstars or GE Nighthawks) but the rated life decreases in proportion to the increase in brightness. Since the R1200GS is somewhat hard on low beam bulbs it can mean a lot of bulb replacement. I have had good performance from an Osram H7 Rallye which is an H9 burner on an H7 base. It is about 150% the light output of a standard H7 (2100 lumens vs 1450 lumens standard) with an increase from 55 watts (standard H7) to 65 watts. Since the filament is in the same location as a standard H7 the reflector functions as designed and the light pattern is the same as stock (but brighter). I have used them in both high and low beams for about two years now with no problems.
    I have used an H4 Rallye (100/90 watt) in my K100RS for the past 25 years (same bulb) and had no problems as well.
    2014 R1200GSA 33, 2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,448
    2 things-
    1) my R1100S has had HIDs hi & lo for about 8 yars now. outstanding light, no parts replaced yet, only hi beam draws requests from drivers (on-coming or directly in front of me in same path of travel) to turn the volume down. [yay! they saw me!!]. Signs reflect back at me in bright sunlight in the middle of the day!

    2) you asked this question in relationship to your R1200GS. that is a very bike specific question... so why not post it in Camheads/Hexheads where it most rightly belongs?, (and is most likely to get the best draw of responses.

    MODS- clean up on Aisle M!!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •