• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Replacement fuel pump

landfellow

My fuel pump on my 1100rt is in need of replacement. I came across this pump from HiFlow fuel.com

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-89278...pump-bmw-r1100-r1100rt-r1100gs-1995-2004.html

It almost seems too good to be true. BMW wants around $350,00 and the Beemer boneyard wants more than half that. HiFlowfuel pumps is only $69.00 and comes with a life time warranty. is this too good to be true?? Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? I am thinking of taking the plunge and any input would be appreciated

Thanks

I would use it.

Its just a high pressure fuel pump like in a car.

David

I have a Beemer Bone yard Kit I'll sell ya for $100 and shipping.

I bought it when I bought the bike. Never needed it, no longer ride the bike.

Its a 2,000 11000.

It seems hard to pass up at that price but something to consider that any looming problem with the in tank parts often comes without warning.

Do you plan to replace all the in tank hoses and filter while you're in there?
RB

I plan on replacing the filter, hoses, clamps and rubber seal while I have it apart. I think then I would feel confident and worry free about any more problems

My fuel pump on my 1100rt is in need of replacement. I came across this pump from HiFlow fuel.com

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-89278...pump-bmw-r1100-r1100rt-r1100gs-1995-2004.html

It almost seems too good to be true. BMW wants around $350,00 and the Beemer boneyard wants more than half that. HiFlowfuel pumps is only $69.00 and comes with a life time warranty. is this too good to be true?? Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? I am thinking of taking the plunge and any input would be appreciated

Thanks

I would just go for it without a worry. For that price you could buy two and carry a spare! But I doubt you'll ever need it. Automotive fuel pumps are very reliable these days and the OEM pump price is hard to justify. I put a replacement pump kit in a 96RT which is identical to the one from Beemer Boneyard but I purchased it from EuroMotoElectrics in Colorado. It's still running fine three years later.

Last time I replaced mine I used the Beemerboneyard kit. Next time I would use the hi-flow unit.
The whole fuel tank design is a piece of **** in my opinion.

Last time I replaced mine I used the Beemerboneyard kit. Next time I would use the hi-flow unit.

I agree. This is my 3rd fuel pump replacement (all on different R series bikes I have owned) The first two I went with OEM... they are still running strong but the OEM pricing is a little ridiculous and depending on the model in can be a PITA to replace it

I agree. This is my 3rd fuel pump replacement (all on different R series bikes I have owned) The first two I went with OEM... they are still running strong but the OEM pricing is a little ridiculous and depending on the model in can be a PITA to replace it

I am curious about this history. I ask because we have one R1100 with 370,000 miles on the original pump and an R1150 with 170,000 miles on the pump. I did pick up a new OEM pump cheap from a guy who had a spare and went with a K bike instead of his Oilhead so had no need for the spare pump. But that was about 200,000 miles ago and there is no sign of a pump problem with the installed pumps.

I do change filters occasionally and we haven't run either bike out of gas.

Were the failures sudden "out of the blue" so to speak or were there engine running symptoms?

I'm trying to get a handle on the failure mode. So anybody with a failed pump feel free to chime in with particulars.

Thanks.

Let me be clear about this. The only reason I would use the Hi-Flo unit is cost. I have had good results with Beemerboneyard and their service.
My comment about the design is because I think it is a PITA to access and replace the pump.

What I believe is the reason for the fuel pump replacements on three of my recent motorcycles is that all three bike were purchased from individuals who had the motorcycles in storage or had not been ridden in at least 3 years. They all had the old fuel in the tanks. In every case I drained and flushed all the fluids and changed the filters. I have the feeling that the old fuel contributed to the demise of the pumps. I have had other BMWs that had much higher miles and never had a problem. I realize that when you are getting a bargain on a motorcycle that has not been ridden in years there are times that you have to invest more in the bike. I just enjoy looking for an alternative to expensive OEM parts

These kinds of post-storage failures are common on classic K bikes because the rubber damper that holds the pump dissolves and gums up the pumps. Oilhead bikes don't have the rubber damper, but old fuel can gum them up fairly easily.

Folks who buy a bike that has been sitting are well advised to drain the tank completely. Put in new gas. Dose the gas strongly with a good injector cleaner. Ledt sit for a few days. Then try to run the bike.

or

Remove the tank. Remove the fuel pump. Soak the fuel pump for a few days in a mix of fresh gas and cleaner. Then hook the pump to power and let it run for a while pumping the gas/solvent mix through the pump.

I have resurrected several dead-stuck K75 pumps this way. Also note that if you connect 12dc backwards the pump tries to run backwards. This can sometimes unstick a stuck pump.

Keep the connections tight at the pump and make the final connection(s) at a batttery several feet away.

Death, Taxes, and. . .

. . .sinking more dough (and lotsa time) into a bike that has been sitting for several years.

All these things are absolutely, positively guaranteed to happen, IMHO.

Walking Eagle

Having purchased a '00 RT in 2010 that had only 6,425 miles on it I can bear witness to the fact that fuel system issues are going to happen. Once you work your way through them and get to that point where you are finally riding a decent running almost new bike that you got for a decent price the feeling is priceless.

Having purchased a '00 RT in 2010 that had only 6,425 miles on it I can bear witness to the fact that fuel system issues are going to happen. Once you work your way through them and get to that point where you are finally riding a decent running almost new bike that you got for a decent price the feeling is priceless.

I know that feeling..:D
It is hard to wipe the smile off your face as your riding along with the feeling of satisfaction that you resurrected a neglected low mileage bike, that not been ridden in years, to a smooth running finely tuned "looks like new" motorcycle...:)

and thank you Paul for the advice on the fuel pump. I did save one from my R1200C

I will run it through the paces as you suggested and if successful save it for a spare

To answer Paul Glaves question about failure mode the one in my former '96 RT failed due to debris I found in the inlet. It was some sort of hardened up gasket material as far as I could tell. I have no idea where it came from. The reason this junk got into the pump however was that the fuel pick up filter sock was deteriorated and wide open on one end and half open on the other. I found some other fairly big slivers of hardened up gasket glue or material in the tank as well.

I have never tried the reverse polarity idea but I still have the failed pump so one of these days I should give it a go.

In another post Paul mentioned the rubber vibration damper. Both my 1100 RT bikes actually did have this part. The one in my '00 RT was deteriorating and starting to come apart when I did this year's filter change. The part price for it (16 14 1 341 232) was just too expensive here in Canada so I stole the one off the old pump from the 96 for now.

I recently discoverd BeemerBoneyard now sells them individually at a reasonable price.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341232.html

Back