• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

front seat to a wreck--

rebake

Coming home after dark last night on the GS.Stop at stop sign.preparing to turn right,when the pickup across the intersection pulls out in front of another p.u. and gets slammed in the driver door at about 50mph.First reaction was to get the gs parked and start checking on people.Lady behind me called 911.First reponders showed up and i went home.Sure gets the old heart pumping,seeing something like that.Ed

Just goes to show that driving pickup trucks can be dangerous. I hope he had ATGATT. You know, snuff tin, ball cap.....

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. Stopped at a light on the Ural, and a small PU t-boned another PU right opposite me, hard enough to spin the latter 360 degrees and block my lane. Cop with it's lights on was only 30' away, he pulled around to block the accident scene and the PU in front of me decided to take a shortcut through a gas station and got whacked by another guy gawking at the accident. I finally puttered away with a heightened sense of vulnerability and awareness.

Electronic Interference???

Small hi-jack: Wonder if anybody was texting/talking vs. -- you know -- DRIVING/PAYING ATTENTION while at the wheel of a hurtling 5,000 lb. monster????

Another rant for the morning: People rubbernecking at accident sites, and causing another accident.

I still have a riding buddy who insists on shifting into neutral well before he comes to a stop at a red light. . .and he continues to "take his time" to shift into gear and get going when the light changes. . .I've seen him be "almost rear-ended" by impatient drivers more than once. Needless to say, the regular practice of staying in neutral at an intersection and not leaving yourself an escape route is, to me, a very foolish idea, and the OP's story is a perfect example of what can happen in a BLINK. Personally, I'd like to have some chance of escape.

Driving while distracted has reached the level of an epidemic, and it's spreading. IF you live in a state that doesn't require hands-free phones while driving, (or if you visit one), you will be stunned by the number of people engaged in "important" phone calls . . . and their $#%^& conversation is MORE important than your life.

Thanks for sharing, and these things certainly do "get one's attention!"

Be a Lert. Lerts live longer.

Walking Eagle

Be a Lert. Lerts live longer.

Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle, I saw a spot on TV about distracted drivers: police officers! Their cars are crammed with computers, radios, cell phones, you name it. Increasingly, there are many police involved in MVA's that they cause because they are driving distracted.

Anyway, they showed a dash-cam of a police car running a red light, from the dash of the police car. On the right, a woman in a car proceeded when her light went green. The shocking thing was that she never once glanced to her left as the police car ran the light and tee-boned her. It was like her neck was locked up and she couldn't move her head. Of course, the real problem was her brain was in neutral, and she never looked to her left or right to clear the intersection before proceeding, and was rewarded with a police cruiser in her driver's side door.

Harry

Pickups

Pickups and their drivers are great, a few weeks ago I rode for 1:45 minutes with out having to stop. Once coming to a red traffic light I stopped gently and fell over. Yes I gently fell to the left as when I put my leg down my leg was asleep and offered no support. With this the driver of the pickup beside me and the driver of the pickup behind me jumped out to help me up. Neither was chewing tobacco not did they have ball caps on, however there may have been Confederate flags in the back window.

Thanks very much guys, I love pickups.

Walking Eagle, I saw a spot on TV about distracted drivers: police officers! Their cars are crammed with computers, radios, cell phones, you name it. Increasingly, there are many police involved in MVA's that they cause because they are driving distracted.

Anyway, they showed a dash-cam of a police car running a red light, from the dash of the police car. On the right, a woman in a car proceeded when her light went green. The shocking thing was that she never once glanced to her left as the police car ran the light and tee-boned her. It was like her neck was locked up and she couldn't move her head. Of course, the real problem was her brain was in neutral, and she never looked to her left or right to clear the intersection before proceeding, and was rewarded with a police cruiser in her driver's side door.

Harry

Excellent point. A green light means you are free to proceed ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE CARS THAT SHOULD STOP REALLY ARE GOING TO. I got nailed (in my car) making a left turn in a designated turn lane. I was first in line when my light turned red and, because of solid traffic in both oncoming lanes, had to wait until the green light turned yellow before I could make my turn. I determined that both cars parallel to each other coming toward me had ample room to stop with good road conditions. BAM!

One car did indeed stop as expected. Not sure if the little old lady even slowed down. Lots of witnesses saw it and, as result, her insurance covered the damage to my car. Boy was I glad I was in the car instead of on the bike that day, because I might well have made the same error on the bike. You have to look for that dipping hood and also be aware of road conditions before you commit yourself to your legal rightaway.

So take a second to be SURE when your light turns green. And if the motorists behind you lay on the horn, forgive them. They haven't read about or experienced this situation - yet.

Found out today that everyone involved have been released.One of the drivers was life-flighted,but is now out.Could have been a lot worse.Ed

Glad to hear you were not in the wreck Ed. I never trust anyone driving on the road. That includes myself.

Harry

OUCH. I ALWAYS look both ways no matter what, before coming thru an intersection. can't even begin to count the number of times I avoided a collision just using this simple tactic.

I was with a friend & co-worker once in a work truck as I waited at a green light while a speeding tractor trailer sailed thru HIS red light at about 50 MPH. My co-worker looked at me, wide-eyed & completely stunned and said, "You just saved my life!"
I said "F*** YOU! I saved MY life. You just happened to be in the passenger seat at the time." :buds

In the past I almost allways shifted into neutral when stopped. My last MSF course stressed the importance of being ready to move when stopped at a light and I now stay in first gear just in case a "distracted" driver decides to target me. I have been hit twice in my cage while stopped at a light (no damage either time) but realize I'm much more vulnerable on my cycle. RIDE SAFE

Back