• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

07 RT El Cheapo Oil Change

Shell Rotella;

Yes, the KLR.net crowd swears by the stuff too! 1000s of bikers use the Rotella label, 15w40 in their bikes. I also own diesels and the Shell Rotella product is first rate for a very long time now. Chevron also makes the equivilant in its Delo400. I had not heard the GW crowd and Rotella link before. Not surprised. WE go 20000m too on the BIG diesels and my F350 diesel goes 10000m on a change easy. Randy:usa

Whether or not one group or another recommends a particular oil is meaningless. Better oils should result in less long term wear everything else being equal. But, are the test conditions equal? If I put mineral oil in my 1800 or KLR650 and the average trip is 200 miles versus $13/qt. synthetic in the same bike but avg. trip is 10 miles, which engine do you think will last longer or run better at 100k miles?
How do these guys that give the thumbs up to a particular oil know it's okay or better? I'll bet they say they can feel the difference.
Rotella T 15W40 is probably good but remember these truck engines run at 2000 rpm all day and have 30 qts. in the crankcase. Thus only one start from cold and then many miles. How do you compare that to a bike?

I always have a small amount of 75-90w gear oil left over, so why not add that to the mix as well! ;)

What Paul G. said...

Let me get this straight, everyone. Some folks will spend thousands of bucks on their ride, and then get cheap with their oil? Absolutely friggin' amazing...

Gentleman,

I have put about 600 miles in the bike since the El Cheapo oil change. Everything appears fine. I guess I could spend another $35 on a Blackstone report but that would defeat the El Cheapo. One thing I do is cut the filter and inspect the media just like I do on the Mooney. Anyway it was fun reading all the varied opinions.:) That's what makes a forum like this entertaining.

Back