• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

07 RT El Cheapo Oil Change

51AM

What I had laying round. 2 qts Castrol 20-50 4T Mineral. 1 qt Mobil 15-50 syn, 1qt Castrol 4T racing 10-40 syn, Pure one PL 10241 filter. Did have to buy the 4T racing for $6 on sale though.

Oh great. Now you've started a "What can happen if I mix mineral and synthetic oil?" thread!
Not to mention THREE different weights! :banghead

What I had laying round. 2 qts Castrol 20-50 4T Mineral. 1 qt Mobil 15-50 syn, 1qt Castrol 4T racing 10-40 syn, Pure one PL 10241 filter. Did have to buy the 4T racing for $6 on sale though.

I think that you have found the perfect mix and yes I am 90% serious. A 2 part mineral to a 2 part synth is ideal.

Truck on :clap

good call....

using the same/old filter to help the "blend" jell-well with the new stuff!
You did drain it 1st.... right? .:brow

Extra Bold!

:bow
I've often wondered what would happen if I just dumped some Rotella from WalMart into my RT. I'm kind of sick of the $50 do-it-myself oil changes!
-Scott

No point in wasting oil.... :D

I've often wondered what would happen if I just dumped some Rotella from WalMart into my RT. I'm kind of sick of the $50 do-it-myself oil changes!
-Scott

My take on that.... if Rotella is good enough for $20,000+ diesel engines, it will be just fine in my RT.

New oil is better than old oil. Clean oil is better than dirty oil. Good oil is better than bad oil. Some oil is better than no oil.

I just looked on my garage shelf and found:
1 & 1/2 qts of Castrol 30W
1 & 1/2 qts of BMW 20W50
1 qt of Castrol GTX Syn Blend 5W20
3/4 qt of Castrol GTX 5W30
1/2 qt of BMW 10W40
1 qt of Castrol Syntec 5W40

If I mixed the together what would I have, besides a little over 6 quarts of a slick liquid? What would I feel safe using this liquid in, nothing.

My own personal experience with mineral-synthetic blending (and I know it proves nothing ) is that I had a Castrol synthetic blend oil change done on my Dodge pickup that only had 17,000 miles on it, and right after, the cam gear disintegrated causing the need for a new engine. Like I said, it proves nothing to you all, but makes me afraid to do a blend in any of my engines.

Wait! Wait!!
Do not ride! You forgot to add the 2-stroke oil. (Castor bean oil is prefered)

Adding 2-stroke oil to 4-stoke oil makes 6-stroke oil which is obviously superior.

pete :nod

"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got." - Art Buchwald

Wait! Wait!!
Do not ride! You forgot to add the 2-stroke oil. (Castor bean oil is prefered)

Adding 2-stroke oil to 4-stoke oil makes 6-stroke oil which is obviously superior.

pete :nod

"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got." - Art Buchwald

:boldpurpl:boldpurpl:boldpurpl:boldpurpl:boldpurpl

My own personal experience with mineral-synthetic blending (and I know it proves nothing ) is that I had a Castrol synthetic blend oil change done on my Dodge pickup that only had 17,000 miles on it, and right after, the cam gear disintegrated causing the need for a new engine. Like I said, it proves nothing to you all, but makes me afraid to do a blend in any of my engines.

I used to drain the old synthetic from my beemer and dump in in my oil-burning '70 Bronco (1qt/500mi) along with whatever else I had handy. That damn 302 never did die.

-Scott

The Myanmar calendar will run out, winter will set in, birds will fly south, and the oil will lubricate your engine.

Joel

My take on that.... if Rotella is good enough for $20,000+ diesel engines, it will be just fine in my RT.

Have a god friend who has an expensive Honda Goldwing GL-1800 and he swears by the 20/50W Rotella. Most of the Honda Goldwing boys use Rotella. Guess there must be something to it?

Would is use it, not sure! Al depends if it meets the require manufacturer API specification.

Back