• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wireing harness removed, need help putting it back!

craiglascruces

Hi all, just put a new to me engine into my '99RT. As you know, the bike comes into two pieces when the engine is removed. I had to take the harness off of one end of the bike and chose the front (mistake?). I have most of it back together, but I have a two round pin black connector with one yellow wire and one yellow and red wire that come from the clutch lever. I cannot find the matching connector. Bet that I will be unable to start the bike with out it connected. Anyone know where to find that connector on the wiring harness? Thanks, Craig

no clue on that one Craig (i'm sure someone else can help out)... but next time you decide to do major surgery on your bike, you'll remember to take digi photos of EVERYthing!
good luck.

Post pics of the connectors for others to see. Look through the MOA site and ADV site for pictorials describing work on the front/rear of the bike. I posted one for doing the spline lube, I'm sure others may have posted something that may help you but as bikerfish above states, always take digipics of any work you do that you are not 100% familiar with.

Last edited:
Yes, post a picture. Until then I've attached an electrical diagram that may help you sort it out.

Thank you Doug for the diagram.

Attachments

• R1100RT_Elec_Diagram.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
clutch switch connection

I have two wiring diagrams, both indicate that it is indeed the clutch switch and it leads from the clutch to a two pin connector, one yellow and one yellow and red wire. This is confired by both of my wiring diagram and the one listed here.

The location of the connector that this goes to is what is needed, it connects to the starter relays somehow....but need to know where to find that connector.

And yes, it would have been good to have taken some photos, but I didn't, so that is spilt milk at this point...

gotta have this connected or the bike will not start...where are the starter relays, in the box with the fuses, or are they near the windshield in the front of the bike?

...right now it is just a loose wire attached to the handel bar....does it go to the rear of the bike or to the front? At a stand still as it is....thanks to all....c

Last edited:
On my RS, it goes to a mating plug on the left side of the fairing support frame at the front. I'm not sure if that will help much for the RT. Location is circled in the photo of my bike. Hope that helps, but I haven' had the tupperware off a RT to know.

clutch%2520switch%2520plug.jpg

Take a picture of what you've got left (and post it) and folks are more likely to be able to help puzzle it out.

Yellow usually relates to low beam headlight. Yellow/Red is DIN standard #34 but I couldn't find what device or terminal uses #34. Anybody have a good chart?

Back