Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing Ethanol From E10 Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by bobinthemtns View Post
    Brilliant! Add a bunch of water to gasoline to remove the octane enhancer....
    I just have to chuckle over the fear some folks have of alcohols in fuel.
    I heard of you wrap your helmet in tin-foil........
    I had a friend, Sherman that lived out on Betty Gap Ridge-he used to wrap foil around his TV lead in wire , behind the set & slid it up & down to "improve the picture"-make your own conclusions.

The best way to remove ethanol is to brow beat the government regulators to stop allowing it in gasoline. Especially this 15% ethanol.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bobinthemtns View Post
    Brilliant! Add a bunch of water to gasoline to remove the octane enhancer....
    I just have to chuckle over the fear some folks have of alcohols in fuel.
    I heard of you wrap your helmet in tin-foil........
    I won't be doing this since my cars/bikes are fine. But, certainly, there are some plastic tanks on bikes out there that do have EtOH issues.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

My two cents worth....

I've used ethanol (nominally 10% ethanol) in my cars, motorcycles and small engines (i.e. lawn mower and snowblower) for at least ten years and it has never caused me any problems whatsoever.

Phase separation has never happened to me, and I live in Ontario where it can get down to -35F in the winter. In fact, ethanol actually has improved my engine starting reliability by removing any small traces of residual moisture from the gas tank, keeping my gas tank bone dry in the process. I used to add gas-line antifreeze in the winter time but have never had to since I have been using ethanol; I think my system is as dry as a bone due to the ethanol.

Realistically, unless you are dealing with a flawed gas station that has a large amount of water in their underground storage tanks, you probably aren't adding any water to your gas tank when you fill up, so the fear of large amounts of water causing phase separation is probably a red herring. I bet if I drained the fuel out of my motorcycle and cars there wouldn't be a trace of water.

It also amazed me that MCN is recommending that people start removing ethanol from their gasoline. Gasoline is extremely flammable, and there is not a word of caution in their article about the fire and safey hazard of playing around with open containers of gasoline and ethanol.