• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual sport riding boots

JochenWoern

Just purchased a 2013 GS Adventure, coming off of a 2005 RT.

Looking for Dual Sport Riding Boots, but not really sure what to purchase as I have been riding a Street Bike for the last several years.

I like the looks of something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidi-Setup-...dise&hash=item51a4064aef&vxp=mtr#ht_132wt_932

I do not like a full Motocross Boot, as I will mostly still be riding the streets and if off road, mostly dirt/fire roads, no real harsh condidtions.

I purchased the SHOEI Dual Sport Helmet "HORNET DS", and would like to get a riding boot that will look better on the GS rather then a street bike looking boot.

Anything any of you can recommend?

Many thanks in advance,
Jochen Woern

I use the SIDI Aventure Rain. Have had them for over a year. They give good protection. Very comfortable. I wear them all day. Some overnight rides I don't even bother packing a pair of evening shoes.

I've learned that the Adventure Boots take some getting used to. When I first got my Alpine Stars, it felt like I was walking and riding in ski boots. Husband had the same thoughts with his Sidi boots. My suggestion is to put them on while walking the dog or just wear them for an hour or so each day. They break in nicely and are now the go-to boots in the closet.

Interesting side note, my husband's Sidi boots started leaking a year and a half (and 16,000 miles) after purchasing. He contacted Sidi and they replaced them for free. Great PR!

I purchased the SHOEI Dual Sport Helmet "HORNET DS", and would like to get a riding boot that will look better on the GS rather then a street bike looking boot.

I'll admit I'm a function over form guy. But are you really planning on serious off road riding? If so, get the boot that offers you the protection you want. If you're not an off road rider, get the boot that is most comfortable.

I am a 95% road rider and ride a GSA (mainly for the comfort and big tank), but I do not use an "off road" helmet or big off road boots. I do not care to match my outfit to what the marketing people push is the GS "look". For me comfort and waterproofness are the most important things in a boot. For a helmet I like a flip up, which takes the dual sports off the table.

I have worn SIDI boots for years and have always been happy with them. They're pricy, but for me worth it.

I use the SIDI Aventure Rain. Have had them for over a year. They give good protection. Very comfortable. I wear them all day. Some overnight rides I don't even bother packing a pair of evening shoes.

I've got the Sidi Adventure GoreTex which is the same design, but with different materials in the construction. Very good boots.

I also use a pair of BMW Santiagos as street boots, but they are marketed as a GS boot.

I've got the Sidi Adventure GoreTex which is the same design, but with different materials in the construction. Very good boots.

I also use a pair of BMW Santiagos as street boots, but they are marketed as a GS boot.

MANY THANKS for everyone's input, VERY HELPFUL and much appreciated.

:thumb They work for me. I'm more into dirt and gravel roads, not deep mud and single track. The combat lites actually give me more confidence on the GSA because they have more support than my former boot.

I've ridden a RTP since early 2007, and six month ago I added a 2012 GSA to the garage. I'm on my 2nd pair of Combat Lites, and I can't imagine ever needing any other boot for any kind of riding.

I ride year-round in Seattle, and these non-Gore-Tex boots have NEVER let my feet see a drop of water even once - including yesterday, where Seattle received a couple inches of rain in a few hours. Rode through standing water at an intersection yesterday morning that was up to my boot buckles, and no leaks.

I wear high quality wool hiking socks (i.e. SmartWool or REI house brand, etc.) under them year-round. If I'm spending all day riding in either the summer or the winter, I"ll add silk liner socks for extra moisture management in hot weather and extra layering warmth in cold weather.

Again, I ride both a RT and a GSA, and these boot are perfect for both bikes. You don't need to spend twice as much, and you certainly don't need Gore-Tex - the dumbest thing you can put in a shoe/boot.

Just keep your boots oiled and they'll stay waterproof and last for years and tens of thousands of miles.

You don't look like a Storm Trooper, either. I've even worn mine to court on particularly nasty days without receiving any dirty looks from judges!

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/footwear/combat-touring-boots/aerostich-combat-lite-boots.html

Last edited:
Look at Sidi On-Road GoreTex boots. Very study, lugged soles; taller than most street boots; water proof; hook-n-loop closures (no bulky buckles that scratch the paint and snag in brush) Yes, the name is "On-Road" but they work great at both on and off road. Typically top quality but pricey Sidi product.

pete

Back