• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Telefix or San Jose fort brace fora R90/6?

rbryson

Which is better (stronger, less expensive, more aesthetic looking, etc.? I don't like that the Telefix compresses the rubber fork boot like a sagging sock, but if it is stronger I can always just remove the fork boots to get the R90S look. Please advise.

I have the Teleflex on my R90/6 and SanJose on my R65. Can't really tell any difference between them. I took the fork boots off when I installed the RS faring on.

Don

No experience with the telefix, but I did quite a bit of research on this and it seems the majority of people think if you're doing just one, a thicker top brace will yield the most benefits. I installed a SJ top fork brace a few weeks ago on my /6 and I'm very pleased. Not only did it tighten everything up, it also aligned the forks nicely. I got a good deal on eBay which included a used brace in great shape and the shortened headlight ears (you'll have to trim yours if using the stock ears). Bike feels much more planted.

I take it you are referring to the SJ top triple clamp brace. If so, I had both on my R100. Fitting the SJ clamp required cutting the headlight brackets. I used gaiters with the Telefix, but it is a royal pain getting them on. If I were to do it over again (oh, wait, I did on the R90S) I'd just do the Telefix.

I interpreted the question to be: Telefix vs the loop over the fender type SJ brace. Both are braces at the top of the sliders. A better than stock top triple clamp at the top of the fork tubes is a separate issue.

The Telefix is fairly simple to install if you are careful, because the dimension between the slider tops is adjustable. The over the fender loop braces are a little more difficult to install because you may need to carefully shim the attachment points to precisely match the distance between the sliders. If not shimmed perfectly the brace will cause fork stiction.

Thanks Paul. That was a very important tip since I had stiction problems in the past and don't want to go down that path again.

Yes, the double loop is a royal PITA to align. then when you need to take it off, and drop a shim, you get to do it all over again. You are tightening the fender to slider bolts, as well as squeezing the shim. And this is in the same direction as the alignment has to happen. The Telefix type is WAY easier to set up and align stiction-free.
One of my bikes does have an "SJB" marked brace which looks and sets up like the Telefix.
IIRC the double loop is highly desired by sidecarists, but not sure of the logic on that.

Back