• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Running Lights

S

salgld

Just wondering if the 1600 has running lights on it....Did not know if the front turn signals act as running lights as well as turn signals....

I know I'll get bashed for saying this but I think the K1600 GT/GTL has some of the lowest DAYTIME, stock visibility as it comes down the road towards you. The optional LED driving lights dramatically improve the motorcycle's visibility.

Running lights

I have to admit it as well...the visibility on the bike at night sucks....i was out the other weekend and in the mountains on a cloudy night and my vis sucked...just outright sucked...

I know I will have to install the optional fog lights as well as have a buddy of mine light the thing up alittle more....

I installed photon blasters from Skene design on the front and their P3 lights at the back both were a easy install and work very well
Still not satisfied ordered some adapters from the K1600 forum that convert the front turn signals to running light/turn signals. Having had my share of people turning in front of me I do believe more is better

The thread is about running lights--which have nothing to do with the rider seeing down the road at night but rather with daytime visibility of the motorcycle by others on the road.

IMHO, lighting constantly the same lights used as turn signals mostly serves to make the turn signals less visible when used as turn signals.

IMHO, lighting constantly the same lights used as turn signals mostly serves to make the turn signals less visible when used as turn signals.

I disagree. Let's look at two different scenarios that shine some light (pun intended) on this assertion:

Scenario #1: I'm coming down the road head on with another car that is thinking of turning left across my path. Does having these lights on make me more or less conspicuous to this approaching driver? In this isolated scenario if you argue it makes me less conspicuous, please explain?

Scenario #2: I'm coming down the road head on with another car and I'm signaling a turn with my turn signal flashing. How does the fact that these LEDs were on solid before I came upon this situation affect the perception of the oncoming driver? That driver sees a conspicuous bike with a bunch of lights on and now one of those lights, the turn signal, is flashing. How does that serve to make the signal less visible?

I've had the daytime running lights mod on my GT since early spring and I have other people tell me that it makes my bike really stand out in a line of bikes coming down the road. Those standard LEDs BMW used for the turn signals are very bright!

I've been out car shopping at the BMW auto dealer and I noticed that the halo lights on the new cars are very bright - way brighter than the halos on our bikes. I asked them about it and they said all new BMW cars have LED halos and that they're all much brighter. I wonder why this hasn't made it to our bikes given how much more of a safety factor it is for motorcycles?

I agree ith Kent's comment about turn signals as running lights. I coverted my RT signals to runing lights/signals and was surprised when I tested the resut. My 9immediate reaction wad that I'd made a mistake and that the second amber made the blnking signal less obvious. So I removed it and put it back to stock.
I also use Photon Blasters up front. If you want more front conspicuity, the best thing to do is to add to those a set of mid level mounted 10W LEDs like the Denali D2. Way more visible tha any typical running light..

Back