Thread: Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Riding home today the rear felt loose. Of course I assumed Big Ball Bearing or pivot bearings. About 1/2 mile from home, the trucks made a pretty tall hump in the road this summer extruding out the pavement. I hit it and the bike took a big hop. Wow, I thought, that bearing must be about gone. So I rode that last half mile very slow.

Get home, put on centerstand. Tight. Tick marks on wheel lug nuts all in right place. What could it be?

7 PSI in Rear tire.

So even though in the past, I have had to replace the Big Ball Bearing and the pivot bearings, my steed did not fail me this time, just a flat.

It is good to learn how a very low tire feels, without having to find out how pavement feels.

Bad thing is assuming, and not checking, I was riding on a low tire and I had a pump. Needless risk, I will modify my behavior. Again.

Now, out to take off the rear. It was about gone anyway, I have a new one waiting. So no sticky strings verses stop and go threads this time, although I might practice on this one.

Rod

I've experienced a couple of those when I rode my R80/7. I put a SmarTire Pressure monitor on my '04 GS. I appreciate the early warning it provides and the fact it negates the chore of routinely checking tire pressures before a ride. SmarTire no longer sells pressure monitors for motorcycles, but Kisan does. It would be dollars well spent.
    2004 R 1150 GS

Glad you made it home OK.
    Thanks for finding the lowest possible PSI that still works!
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

My first indicator of low pressure is low speed steering feels heavy.

Bike goes wide in corners.

I check pressure frequently but a nail comes by any time.