• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets won't save you in 30+ MPH crashes

Large trees, bridge pilings & concrete walls for example are very unforgiving to run into. Some years ago our friends in the government recognized this and decreed the Jersey barriers and break away poles etc that are along most interstate highways. Unfortunately these protections are not often seen off the interstate.

It's the "quick Stop" that occurs when a rider strikes an immovable object that really does people in.

Not much is heard about those "cable fences" often seen in grassy medians on divided highways to prevent vehicles crossing over & causing head-on collisions. Give a thought or two about you & your motorcycle rubbing against one of these for a distance if you somehow go into the median.

As we have some of the cable barriers on the interstate around here, I have concluded that they are not motorcycle friendly. I'd much rather take my chances running off into the median than the cable and all its supporting poles.

Here in the Appleton/Green Bay Wisconsin area the DOT has put up miles of the cable style median barrier. I for one would not want to encounter it.

As to cycle crashes, crash data has shown that most cycle crashes occur at about 35 mph.

A helmet is effective to protect the brain in a crash. But other major body injuries also commonly kill, aside from head injuries. But that still should not discount the injury reduction capabilities of helmets. As many of us know, the only real safety device any of us have, is the grey matter between our ears, our street strategies and our riding skills.

I remember during the Great Debates prior to the Clinton firearms bans, the L.A. county coroner stated, during a news conference, that a bullet fired from a Glock handgun was somehow deadlier than one fired from a "normal" handgun. Yeah, he was a real expert......

I suspect most county coroners are non- physicians. I also suspect that a lot of them are lucky they aren't bagging groceries.

In New York there were 5,336 motorcycle accidents with 168 fatalities in 2011. It is estimated that 1/2 the non-fatal accidents are never reported.

Of the fatalities (168 total):
Unsafe speed: 71
Left-hand turn: 37
Bored/distracted: 20
Inexperience: 17
Alcohol: 16 Illegal drug use: 1

They have stats on helmets use too, but NYS is a mandatory helmet use state. Never-the-less, there were 9 fatalities without helmets. The rest were with helmets. Worthless for the OP, but notable.

Interesting stat:
1 accident due to hand-held cell phone usage.
5 accidents due to falling asleep.
0 accidents due to texting
0 accidents due to GPS

You can read the extensive statistics on 2011 motorcycle accidents in New York here: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/Statistics/2011MotorcycleCrashSummary.pdf

head trauma

I am not at all scared of dying, but my fear is brain injury. Wearing a helmet is no guarantee you will survive a crash, but a simple fall from a ladder, bicycle, or just falling off your feet and a severe blow to the head could occur and the result could be brain damage, paralysis, or death. It's your brain, but if you scramble it your family will suffer as long as you live. Please wear a helmet for their sake.

...90% of all motor vehicle accidents occur within 10 miles of home. that's why its critical to get as far away from home as fast as possible...
This makes sense - go fast and stay away from home for your safety.

DOT studies say about 27 percent of motorcycle operators killed in crashes were speeding.
So 73% of fatal accidents occurred with a motorcycle traveling at or below the speed limit. That means I'm 2.7 times less likely to be killed in a motorcycle crash if I speed, right?

The most common location for crashes involving a motorcycle and another motor vehicle (4 or more wheels) is at intersections. The usual scenario is the other vehicle turning left into the motorcyclist's right-of-way.
So by going faster, other vehicles have less time to do something stupid in front of me. I can buy this; makes sense for deer and small children too.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement of my beliefs. Our safety is in our speed.

To read the original article click here

This is the original quote in the article:
"The pathology literature will say that really the helmet only protects you up to about 30 mph in fairly low-speed crashes,'' he said. "Over that, generally, the overall body injuries such as a broken neck, broken back and fractures are likely to be severe enough to cause the death without head injury. That's another decision that the rider has to make. If you're driving on a motorcycle at 70 mph, a helmet is not going to do you a bit of good. It is what it is. If you're much over 30 mph, then there's really no safety equipment that's going to protect you.''

He was quoting Pathology literature. The point that the pathology literature was trying to make is that once over 30mph, death can come from difference sources of the body. But, this particular pathologist didn't understand the point, or didn't articulate it well.

To read the original article click here

This is the original quote in the article:

He was quoting Pathology literature. The point that the pathology literature was trying to make is that once over 30mph, death can come from difference sources of the body. But, this particular pathologist didn't understand the point, or didn't articulate it well.

I am the OP. Earlier in this thread some members said I stated his POV out of context. I disagree. While he does quote Pathology literature, it's my belief that that the last sentence he states is his: "If you're much over 30 mph, then there's really NO (emphasis mine) safety equipment that's going to protect you"

I fail to see how how crystal clear (and wrong) his opinion is.

I am the OP. Earlier in this thread some members said I stated his POV out of context. I disagree. While he does quote Pathology literature, it's my belief that that the last sentence he states is his: "If you're much over 30 mph, then there's really NO (emphasis mine) safety equipment that's going to protect you"

I fail to see how how crystal clear (and wrong) his opinion is.

That was my comment. i stand by me reading of it- he's not saying "don't wear a helmet" (which is what it sounded like you were implying that he was implying) rather, he's saying "you're toast regardless of what you have on."

unfortunately, some may take his statement as gospel truth, and decide that speedos are teh way to go.

(btw- care to translate "I fail to see how how crystal clear (and wrong) his opinion is"... i struggled trying to make sense of it)

That was my comment. i stand by me reading of it- he's not saying "don't wear a helmet" (which is what it sounded like you were implying that he was implying) rather, he's saying "you're toast regardless of what you have on."

unfortunately, some may take his statement as gospel truth, and decide that speedos are teh way to go.

(btw- care to translate "I fail to see how how crystal clear (and wrong) his opinion is"... i struggled trying to make sense of it)

I thought his comment was clear....

30 mph crash

In 1994 I hit a light pole doing about 40 MPH, I hit it head on in an ama scantioned event,wearing helmet,boots,chest protector,globes etc I raced dirt track for 20 years and never rode street bikes. I spent months in the hospital and took about three years before I could walk on my own I ended up with broken plevis,ribs,collar bones and the accident cracked my bell helmet but the only brain damage I have is I would still rather ride my BMW than drive a car! So in closing I've just got to say put a helmet on before you get on your bike there is no formula that any one can give you but I'm living proof that a helmet saves lives :thumb

This is from a 50 MPH over the front fairing get off. Tell me a helmet doesn't matter. I was wearing full riding gear.

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 81
Back