• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's a Good Starter Bike?

I'd try to steer her to the notion that motorcycles are for rides in the mountains or in the country and NOT for commuting. Maybe longish trips to rallies.

If that works, then a 250 or 400 or something like that is all wrong.

I have a friend who started (after MSF) on an R1100RT and he's done fine and still has it. He's never owned anything smaller ... unless you count his R50/2.

Perhaps better a bodywork-free bike for a starter, R65, RxxxR, F800xx, etc.

If it's commuting for her, there's no advantage to a motorcycle versus a scooter ... but she should wear the same ATGATT.

Boy i couldn't disagree more

I think that starting out on a mid-sized bike is foolish. It seems to me that there are an awful lot of ex-riders out there that would have stayed in motorcycling if they had started out on something smaller.

If you go to some of the threads on ADVrider, you will see that there are many people that have gone back to smaller bikes and found the true joy of riding again.

You don't need a 70hp bike to have a great time.

Let her chose what she feels most comfortable on....

May I say something from a woman's perspective?
I started out on a BMW F650 that was lowered. I am five nine,
With a 34 inch inseam. I know you are all thinking why a lowered
Bike?
Well, for one thing both feet were completely flat on the ground while
Stopped and that gave me a very good sense of stability. Most of the weight of
This bike is under you. Women have more lower body strength than upper body
Strength, and ,y legs did not get tangled in the jugs of an airhead.
The second most important thing, I took the MSF beginner course.
And finally, my husband spent countless hours patiently !! And I do mean patiently
Taking me through various on road situations as an amazing mentor.
Not many guys would be willing to ride the ALCAN at 45mph (or less, when I first encountered rain, wind, grated bridges......) leading where necessary, and following
When appropriate. First riding season was just over 6000 miles.....had he not been patient and tough when I needed it I might not be riding today.

It is more than just finding the right bike to start out. It is having a patient experienced rider willing to stick it out and train the new rider. Think long term benefits!
By the way I just logged over 21,000 miles this year, and my husband never has to ask for a kitchen pass!:brad

May I say something from a woman's perspective?
I started out on a BMW F650 that was lowered. I am five nine,
With a 34 inch inseam. I know you are all thinking why a lowered
Bike?
Well, for one thing both feet were completely flat on the ground while
Stopped and that gave me a very good sense of stability. Most of the weight of
This bike is under you. Women have more lower body strength than upper body
Strength, and ,y legs did not get tangled in the jugs of an airhead.
The second most important thing, I took the MSF beginner course.
And finally, my husband spent countless hours patiently !! And I do mean patiently
Taking me through various on road situations as an amazing mentor.
Not many guys would be willing to ride the ALCAN at 45mph (or less, when I first encountered rain, wind, grated bridges......) leading where necessary, and following
When appropriate. First riding season was just over 6000 miles.....had he not been patient and tough when I needed it I might not be riding today.

It is more than just finding the right bike to start out. It is having a patient experienced rider willing to stick it out and train the new rider. Think long term benefits!
By the way I just logged over 21,000 miles this year, and my husband never has to ask for a kitchen pass!:brad

Sounds like my start in riding. Paul, who never had much patience, found scads to coach me just when I needed it. I am eternally greatful to him!

Voni
sMiling

Interesting, so far we've narrow it down to:

Honda Rebel (2 good, one bad) Suzuki GS500 (2)
Kaw Ninja 250 (2)
Ducati Monster
Bergman 400
400cc something
Suzuki SV650
Vstar 650
Royal Enfield
650 Versys
Kaw ex500
r65, RxxxR, F800xx
F650

You might be better off going to craigslist, punching in motorcycle under $2000, and buying the prettiest one!:dance

I would listen to what she feels like she needs. Nothing worse than forcing a bike on someone that they don'r feel comfortable with. Start small, and plan on replacing it in a year or two with something bigger.

What kind of riding will she be doing? If it's just going to visit friends locally, and a few trips to the store, a scooter (any size) is enough. For higher speed areas, say 45 MPH and above, a larger scooter.

FWIW

I echo that you need to get a bike for her that she is comfortable with. However, having said that, I also believe that a standard Style seating position Motorcycle is much easier to control at slow speeds and higher speeds. I have had many friends trained at courses on cruiser style bikes, they won't even sit on a standard seating bike, and the control of their motorcycle for them is much much harder for them than it needs to be. They won't even they try a different style motorcycle, so they have no idea what they're missing.

Therefore, my wife who is just learning to ride, and we are looking for new bike for her, I will be guiding her towards a motorcycle that has a standard seating position. If she wants to move to a cruiser in the future that will be here choice, but I want her out on the street with the best opportunity to have the best control of the motorcycle while she gains experience and confidence.

So there...

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for all the responses. Lots of good advice. You guys are great.

The current situation...she took an introduction class last night. I don't know if it's an MSF course but it's run by the same folks who do the MSF courses here and is supposed to be for total beginners to see if they want to go further. She loved it and is now planning to take the BRC and get her MC endorsement. She rode a Honda Rebel in the class and liked it...said it fit well and she felt comfortable on it. So I dunno...there are several Rebels on the local Craigslist for what look like reasonable prices. There's also a nice looking 97 F650 Funduro but I don't know anything about them and I think it might be a bit much for a total newbie (but might work for me :) ). I think I'll let her do the BRC and then we'll start looking in earnest for a bike, or maybe Santa will bring one, who knows?

So that's where we are now.

And now her older sister is getting interested. I'd better make more room in the garage...

awww, least you could try a Ducati, doesn't this look like fun?:laugh

Attachments

• saveas.jpg
    saveas.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 97
Another one to consider might be the Suzuki 650 Savage (called something else on the "new" ones?), the single.
Low, easy, cheap, reliable, more torque than many of the others mentioned.

People thought we were crazy, but when each of our 2 kids turned 16 we signed them up for the MSF course at our local college. Then we bought them a bike to ride. Our daughter started on a Suzuki Marauder 250. Our son is about a foot taller than her and it wouldn't fit him when the time came, so we traded it in on a Suzuki GS500. They both rode for a couple of years before getting a car license. We think it's made them much more aware behind the wheel.

I think that starting out on a mid-sized bike is foolish. It seems to me that there are an awful lot of ex-riders out there that would have stayed in motorcycling if they had started out on something smaller.

If you go to some of the threads on ADVrider, you will see that there are many people that have gone back to smaller bikes and found the true joy of riding again. You don't need a 70hp bike to have a great time. Let her chose what she feels most comfortable on....

Wow, pretty strong statement there. All I can offer is that my SO started out on a Yamaha XJ550 and almost seemingly quickly outgrew it. I was impressed with the bike as it had a lot of power for its size even with me astride. She then went to a XJ700 and now rides a R1100R quite well.

Time on the 550; 2 years, the XJ700; 4 years. I bought her the R this July and she's in love (with the bike, too). :heart :laugh

I think that so much of getting a loved one started is listening to them, not pushing them in any way, and letting things happen naturally. Some folks find out that riding just isn't for them and that's okay.

You can make all of the suggestions you want but let the decision be hers. It doesn't matter how good your choice is, if she does not make the final decision, she will never be happy with it down deep. I learned this through living with one woman almost 45 years and our girls of 42 and 39.

We only think we matter but in the end, we are the sideshow.

The correct bike depends on who is riding it. I am in no way convinced a small bike is the best choice, and I'm tired of hearing that you should start that way. It depends entirely on the rider.

Maybe nobody should start on a Hayabusa, but wtf am I to pass judgment.

You can make all of the suggestions you want but let the decision be hers. It doesn't matter how good your choice is, if she does not make the final decision, she will never be happy with it down deep. I learned this through living with one woman almost 45 years and our girls of 42 and 39.

We only think we matter but in the end, we are the sideshow.

Wise words...

The correct bike depends on who is riding it. I am in no way convinced a small bike is the best choice, and I'm tired of hearing that you should start that way. It depends entirely on the rider.

Maybe nobody should start on a Hayabusa, but wtf am I to pass judgment.

That depends significantly on whether or not it is your daughter who is the new rider. At least it would with me. The OP was asking about HIS daughter. I tried to think like I would if it was my daughter.

That depends significantly on whether or not it is your daughter who is the new rider. At least it would with me. The OP was asking about HIS daughter. I tried to think like I would if it was my daughter.

My 27 year old daughter has her bike license. I bought her an MSF weekend four years ago and it poured down rain both days. She doesn't like the same kind of bikes I like (can't stand my K75 or KLX or Vstrom -- in that order), but to date, she has not picked one. It might have something to do with her working 3 jobs and lacking the time. Whatever she ultimately decides to ride is fine with me, though she does tend to favor cruisers.

My wife started on a Harley Low Rider and never looked back. Great bike for the ladies. I t has a 24" seat and she flat foots easily.Low Low center of gravity. It was designed for smaller, shorter riders. Unlike all BMW's which we would all prefer our wives to ride, it is not ungodly tall with a high center of gravity. 1200 twin cam engine.

Jack

Unlike all BMW's which we would all prefer our wives to ride

Brand loyalty mystifies me. I like certain bikes and the manufacturer doesn't matter at all. I know that's anathema to many around here, but I'll take the common ground that does exist.

Back