• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dates for the 1986 MOA rally at Laguna Seca?

indygt

67-year-old Teenager
Does anyone recall the dates of the 1986 BMW MOA rally at Laguna Seca near Monterey, Calif.?
That was my first MOA rally and my first long ride (from Indianapolis).

I can't find it. There is a MOA magazine on eBay for June 86 that covers that rally, so I would assume that narrows it to June or July. You could contact the seller on eBay, maybe he'd look at it and tell you, maybe you'd evenlike to have that magazine. Or maybe another member here has it and can tell you, I'm sure the date would be in most any June or earlier MOA magazine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Owners-...l-Rally-Racing-Ducatis-Tech-Tip-/280971568522

Gilly

I wrote to the guy asking if he could look up the dates, but haven't heard back.
He probably figures I should buy the magazine if I want the info.

It was July -- I took the month off and rode out, went to the rally, played on Highway 1, went to Oregon, Yellowstone and more. A great time. If I find my photos...I may have the date on them..... Mac

We got to do a parade lap around the track, and yes the corkscrew is something else.

BMW brought some current racers to do some demo laps on K75s and it's my recollection most were on the rev limiter most of the time.

Track has since been reconfigured and the area where I and I think most camped is now gone, used for the extension in length of the course.

We got to do a parade lap around the track, and yes the corkscrew is something else.

BMW brought some current racers to do some demo laps on K75s and it's my recollection most were on the rev limiter most of the time.

Track has since been reconfigured and the area where I and I think most camped is now gone, used for the extension in length of the course.

Reg Pridmore was there, with a fleet of K75 instructor bikes, and put on his on-track school then co-directed by Rob Beach and named RATS, Riders Advanced Training School. They did day-long sessions Friday and Saturday during the rally and on Sunday as the rally was breaking up. Voni and I took the Sunday course - she on her R65 and me on my then new K75T.

I have since taken Reg's CLASS school a few times, and his son Jason's STAR school a couple fo times too. But it was that first RATS course that truly opened my eyes to what motocycles are capable of doing. A ride on the back with Reg is an eye opener for sure.

Track Rats only!

I found Laguna Seca a terrible rally site(Last in CA) with no facilities except the track itself. Camping was just average at best on the island. Our many to date rallies have mostly been better by far, since. Of course, IF you're a track rat, as my title suggests, you found it heaven. I too, know Reg Pridmore a very long time and his skills are beyond question. Those riding his bike as passenger were indeed thrilled and an eye opener. The K75s were wrenched out to there full and beyond potential on that track. One came in, blowing water from its radiator! Me, a tourer and skills well beyond most average riders on BMWs and others, leave tracks in my past. Been there(racer) done that, not again. Give me the offroad adventures today, for much more fun:). GSA1200 Randy"Polarbear". GSs since 1982 for me:). AND BTW, a GS/GSA makes a great track bike too, so don't ever race one unless you're really skilled on you'res! PS: Ever wonder the State of CA is not mentioned much as a future rally site? Its a loser state in attendance and costs and whatelse, you can figure. Our first was here, 40 years ago, Laguna came along, "flop" and not again! I picked another site recently, got ignored for bad reasons(IMO), also near Laguna? Randy

Back