• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 R1200RT Forks

drummer

Frieden mit uns allen
I got 44K miles on my bike, which I bought used at 36K miles. Yesterday I noticed that there seems to be oil residue on the front forks below the travel area of the forks. Would this be about time to have the forks rebuilt or is this nothing about which to be concerned?

Drummer, The mileage does not warrant changing the seals unless you are on dusty roads day in and day out. I suspect you may have some fine particles between the stachion tube and the seal. The plastic should be thick enough similar to a bleach container. An old trick that was shown to me and have used it over the years is to take an old plastic container cut it about 4" long by 2" wide. Make sure you don't have any sharp edges on the leading edges. Gently insert with the crown side on the outside (meaning the rounded part facing away from the stanchion). Slowly go around the seal and don't force it moving it up and down. If there is any fine particles, you will dislodge it. I know others will say to replace the seals, but get a second opinon.

All the forks do is keep the wheel upright; the spring and shock are external. There's only a little oil in them to keep the sliding surfaces lubed.

The only thing to "rebuild" on a Telelever fork is to replace the fork seals if they fail, and refill it with fresh oil. My 94 RS still has the original seals and fork oil, at 170,000 miles, never leaked and lever lost any fork oil. But I did replace both upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings and front shock.

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate the input. BTW: I too thought it very very early for the seals to let go since I rarely ride on dusty roads.

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate the input. BTW: I too thought it very very early for the seals to let go since I rarely ride on dusty roads.

Not too common on the RT because the fork is somewhat shielded by the fairing, but all it takes is one good bug splat with a little hard shell to cut a fork seal.

Had a fork leaking oil on my '05 R1200RT at half your mileage.

It's just a fork seal - have the dealer replace it, fill with new oil and away you go.

No need for rebuilding anything at only 44k. :thumb

Back