• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Remus or Chip

peterkenzler

Airhead Smitten
Love My 04 K1200GT (brick) lots. This winter I am going to install my new Wilburs and am trying to decide Chip or Remus exhaust. Good price on used Full Remus exhaust system or Chip. Chip is less money, Remus is less weight. Remus looks cool but I think may be too loud. Performance seems to be about the same, not sure about MPG. Any Thoughts

Thanks
Airhead Smitten

Love My 04 K1200GT (brick) lots. This winter I am going to install my new Wilburs and am trying to decide Chip or Remus exhaust. Good price on used Full Remus exhaust system or Chip. Chip is less money, Remus is less weight. Remus looks cool but I think may be too loud. Performance seems to be about the same, not sure about MPG. Any Thoughts

Thanks
Airhead Smitten

I was at my dealer the other day listening to another K1200 owner. He was asking the same questions as you. Our dealer recommended the Remus. He felt it was better made. There was another brand he was comparing it to, and I don't think it was Chip.
Who else makes aftermarket muffs for K bikes?

I was at my dealer the other day listening to another K1200 owner. He was asking the same questions as you. Our dealer recommended the Remus. He felt it was better made. There was another brand he was comparing it to, and I don't think it was Chip.
Who else makes aftermarket muffs for K bikes?

Lynn- "chip" is a thing, not a manufacturer. short for fuel chip, which controls the FI computer mapping.

I ran a Remus on my K1100RS years ago. nice sound (no more sewing machine), maybe gave a slight boost in performance. no clue as to what it did to my mpg, as i put in on the bike very early in its life with me. A chip will "fat up" (add more fuel) your fueling, and will likely drop your mpg. The K12 should not need a chip, even if you install the Remus (which will lean it out a bit from stock).

If i really felt the need to spend some farkle $ on the bike, i'd likely go with the Remus. In all reality, i wouldn't bother with either of them, and maybe get a good radar detector instead. With the suspension upgrade you're doing (good call!), and what that motor will already do, it should pay for itself in no short order.

So ever the voice of reason...

I somehow doubt that we're smarter than dozens of German engineers in these matters.

Every review I've read of the aftermarket exhausts shows either degraded performance or tiny improvements at only certain parts of the power curve. I don't need noise on my bike, either, I perfer stealth and speed.

And if a simple chip swap would improve mileage and performance, I think they would have done this - the motorcycle market is very competitive and being able to claim a few more horsepower is quite important.

This reminds me the the guys who would take their new pickups to the tire store to have lift kits and oversized wheels and tires installed 'to improve the handling'.

Yeah -

Well, sometimes "we" are smarter than those German engineers, only because we might not be quite as concerned about meeting certain requirements that they must meet.
A different fuel chip WILL help performance (assuming it is mapped to do that correctly), period. Stock, our bikes are set very lean to meet emissions regulations. adding a touch more fuel typically smooths out their response, and often eliminates flat spots in the power curve. what the factory does is not always about "best performance".

however, for a K12RS, i probably would not bother spending my $ on that particular upgrade.

Hmmmm

Is my bike way fast enough, yes. Do I want it loud, no. Do I want it to corner some better over not so smooth roads, yes. Looks like I'm on the right track. Guess I just wanted to buy her a Christmas present for the great summer she gave me. The lovely blue Wilburs will have to do.

Is my bike way fast enough, yes. Do I want it loud, no. Do I want it to corner some better over not so smooth roads, yes. Looks like I'm on the right track. Guess I just wanted to buy her a Christmas present for the great summer she gave me. The lovely blue Wilburs will have to do.

smart man!

I have kept the stock exhaust and added a Rhinewest Chip.

My MPG went up from usually 35-38 to maybe 40 on the road to 37-39 with 42.
Bike vibs changed a little for the better,
Surging at slight throttle at low speeds improved.
Idle is smoother
Never did a dyno or 1/4 mile times so can't say actually performance increase
Laptimes at VIR decreased some but is that the chip or skills getting better?
Easy install
overall, not a bad way to spend 400 dollars on a BMW.

I have a loud bike and a quiet one. I am fine with the K RS being the quiet one.

Hope this helps a little.

NCS

Hmm a mile or 2 MPH

Stephan makes me think even more.. sometimes I feel as if I'm more like my wife then makes me comfortable.

I do get a bit of surging, the Idle floats, but the toque from 2 to 6 K is plenty. I do love to rap her out but I rally have to stay in the game or I hit the Rev limiter. I have four bikes and always looking for more but my K1200GT sure does make me happy.

PK

Back