• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

90 years of boxers

Visian

look out!!!
Just in from the BMW PR people.... I hope this will be the cool custom concept bikes that were shown a couple years ago....

Multifaceted Concept To Commemorate 90th Anniversary of BMW Motorrad

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  November 13, 2012In his speech at the international motorcycle show EICMA in Milan, BMW Motorrad President Stephen Shaller announced that BMW Motorrad will be presenting a new model with air-cooled 'boxer' engine in 2013 as a special way of marking the "90 years of BMW Motorrad" anniversary.

As long ago as 1923, the very first BMW motorcycle - the BMW R 32 ÔÇô provided what was to become the genetic basis for the BMW Motorrad boxer series over nine decades: an air-cooled, 2-cylinder 4-stroke 'boxer' engine with longitudinally mounted crankshaft and shaft drive to the rear wheel. Always combined with innovative technology and thrilling design - and with one priority above all else: sheer riding pleasure.

The new, distinctive motorcycle to be produced next year will express the genes of 90 years of BMW Motorrad combined with emotional styling and innovative technology to create a new, multifaceted vehicle concept.

The model designation and date of the market launch will be announced at a later date.

Attachments

• P90107904 copy.jpg
    P90107904 copy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 346
It looks like the lo rider concept will come to fruition. My guess, and I hope I'm wrong, is although it will marketed as a more stripped, essentials-only, it will be priced very upscale. Looking forward to seeing it.

From the side it looks great.If the headlight is a big(8")round HID unit,I'll buy it .This roadster/cafe bike is the first new BMW I've been interested in buying Since buying my2004 K12GT. As I get older I'd like a lighter more basic BMW,like my R90/100S.I can hardly wait.

As I get older I'd like a lighter more basic BMW,like my R90/100S.I can hardly wait.

As all the retro bikes came out over the past 5-6 years, I always wished that BMW would do something along those lines.

But I believe that your operative phrase "... as I get older..." was the holdup with BMW AG marketing.

Now that the see all the hipsters running around on "old" Triumphs, methinks they might have changed their minds. :ha

Ian

It could well be the last of the traditional dry clutch and separate transmission BMWs. The "Wethead" looks much like the traditional boxer but the integration of the transmission with the engine and a wet clutch is much more significate than the water cooled heads.

I like it but I just wish it had real fenders. Do those designers ever have to clean the bikes they design?

As all the retro bikes came out over the past 5-6 years, I always wished that BMW would do something along those lines.

But I believe that your operative phrase "... as I get older..." was the holdup with BMW AG marketing.

Now that the see all the hipsters running around on "old" Triumphs, methinks they might have changed their minds. :ha

Ian

Good for them!

As for the "hipsters", I saw a young guy with a metalflake helmet riding a Velocette on the highway near my house. It was no garage queen, either, it was oily and nasty and looked like it had never been restored. I gave him a thumbs up.

It could be interesting to see what all they come up with.

If it is the Lo Rider concept shown at Milan a few years ago WOW!!! What was lost on most was the concept was a bike built using a mass customization production model. I am really looking forward to finding out more about this.

:lurk

Do those designers ever have to clean the bikes they design?

Their job is to sell bikes. As long a people want to buy high performance and cool looks, regardless of what it takes to maintain it, that is what they will do.

Personally, I find it ridiculous that most bikes require pulling the camshafts to adjust the valves, but then that is why I bought a boxer.

Well... if the marketing image is any indication of the forthcoming product... it's about time! The lines do look more reminiscent of the 70's/80's era bikes. New tech, old look. Bring it.

If it is the Lo Rider concept shown at Milan a few years ago WOW!!! What was lost on most was the concept was a bike built using a mass customization production model. I am really looking forward to finding out more about this.

:thumb

What I hear (no sayin' that it's true, though) is that the Lo Rider is coming to market over David Robb's dead body. iow, he didn't like the styling, Hendrick vonKundheim did... and that was that.

These bikes will be wicked... and after the old farts get tired of them, the hipsters will pick them up used, and they'll live long happy lives.

Ian

See M1ka's slideshow...

410129606_HMMCC-L.jpg

Back