• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2012 rt low speed surge

rhood1960

Just picked a new r1200rt today,great bike,but a very annoying 1st gear low speed surge,anyone else heard of this?

Mine is a 2011. No surge, but a lot of torque. Sometimes, too much twist and it will feel like a surge! Are you sure this is not just you getting used to the throttle?

Sergio

I'd agree with Ed. When I first came to my 12R1200RT (from an 1978 R100/7) I struggled some with the high gear ratio starting out and the sensitive throttle. It gets better with practice. Don't spend much time at one speed though when "running in" your new engine. Read that owners manual section "running in"
Enjoy
Will Stagg

I also had this surge with '11. After about 500 mi. it went away..almost. A few thousand miles more down the road I installed the Booster Plug..what surge :whistle

have a 12 . No surge from day one. I did stall it in the parking lot at the dealer twice before I was underway. Cold I have stalled the bike a couple times. No surge. Sensitive throttle far better than my oilhead.

Now 3 months old, 6,000 miles and it still keeps running better. I don't think my bike needs a booster plug. It runs fine the way it is.

David

surge

Thanks for the reply I traded in my 03 1150 I can see
the getting used to the throttle but the surge is pretty bad,I'll give it some time but what is the plug everyone is talking about?

Having also come to the 1200's from the 1100/1150 lineup I too noticed the sensitive throttle. The problem is made worse (how bad varies by bike and age) by the lean burn conditons off idle dictated by the pollution requirements.
In very simple, non technical terms, what the Booster Plug does is "fool" the computer into thinking the outside tempurature is 20 degreees cooler than actual. This causes the computer to richen the air/fuel mixture by about 6%. The richer mixture eliminates the portion of the throttle sensitivity created by the stock lean condition.
So, while the Booster Plug may not completely eliminate throttle sensitivity it does moderate the effect.
Having said all that I would not install anything until your bike is broken in. As the bike breaks in the engine changes and the throttle response you have now is not what you may have in a few thousand miles.

Just picked a new r1200rt today,great bike,but a very annoying 1st gear low speed surge,anyone else heard of this?

Give it some "time in the saddle." Engine mapping/throttle sensitivity takes several thousand miles to settle in - with the rider as well as the machine.

The R1200RT is a sweet ride - will never have the low-speed throttle control manners of a V-twin, but still a nice bike.

Good Luck and Ride Aware! :thumb

Back