• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Veterans day

Ditto

And from Alabama! Thank You all, I hope the sacrifice by so many is not in vain.
Freedom in the USA is under attack!

No offense intended to those who feel otherwise, I never wanted to be thanked, and still don't, but I could have done without the derision when I was wearing the uniform.

Well put, Tom. It was a job that I was proud to do, but made me wonder why at the time. Being told not to wear the uniform off-base in certain places, being an E-6 and having your kids eligible for the school hot-lunch program because of my income level. And a few other things. I'm glad the sentiment has changed over the years.

Thanks to my kids,your kids,me & you for serving! It's a fact that no matter your politics there are some bad people in the world(as always) & I'm thankful there are those with the will to serve now & before.:heart

No offense intended to those who feel otherwise, I never wanted to be thanked, and still don't, but I could have done without the derision when I was wearing the uniform.

Well Tom, you are being thanked whether you like it or not. Having been proud to have done your job is a good thing, but it was a job you did not have to sign up for, but did anyway.

THANK YOU!
Thank all of you who have served!

Well Tom, you are being thanked whether you like it or not. Having been proud to have done your job is a good thing, but it was a job you did not have to sign up for, but did anyway.

THANK YOU!
Thank all of you who have served!

This came from the net:

Sentences like "I would encourage all citizens to thank the veteran for their service" are part of the problem. A small step in de-glorifying war is to stop using "service" as a synonym for the military. The words we use are critical to our thoughts, which direct our actions.

Here's a simple non-invasive way to help those with trauma and everyone - use the word "military" in place of "service". I got tired of people saying "thank you for your service". I give them my card titled "Please Don't Thank Me For My Service". It goes on - "I was in the military, not the "service". Service is doing something good. Service is what the person does who fixes your car. When the word "service" is applied to the military, it helps to justify violence as a method of conflict resolution. Like "defending our freedom" or "bringing democracy", the word "service" is used to lower the barriers of aggression. The military solution to conflict is death and destruction. That's not service. Call it what it is - the military."

Posted by ARNY STIEBER on Oct 21st, 2012

After 23 1/2 years in the AF, my oldest son has made the decision to retire. They are dangling carrots to make the decision tougher but he's putting family first this go around. I'm delighted by his choice.

He's been around the world during this phase of his life, experienced many things and was in more than I'd like to count, war zones as support. 5 months and he'll be a civilian back stateside. The service helped shape him into a man. He's succeeded in life more than he ever imagined he would at 19 when he joined, going from enlisted to officer. I'm thankful for his service. I'm thankful that he can walk away unscathed where so many have not been so lucky. The sacrifices these young men and women make are hard to fathom when you haven't served.

Soon he'll move on to another chosen career and I know he will succeed.

On this Veterans Day, my thoughts are simply.........thank you for making the sacrifices necessary to be there when your country needs the support and thank you, God, for taking care of my son.

This came from the net:

Sentences like "I would encourage all citizens to thank the veteran for their service" are part of the problem. A small step in de-glorifying war is to stop using "service" as a synonym for the military. The words we use are critical to our thoughts, which direct our actions.

Here's a simple non-invasive way to help those with trauma and everyone - use the word "military" in place of "service". I got tired of people saying "thank you for your service". I give them my card titled "Please Don't Thank Me For My Service". It goes on - "I was in the military, not the "service". Service is doing something good. Service is what the person does who fixes your car. When the word "service" is applied to the military, it helps to justify violence as a method of conflict resolution. Like "defending our freedom" or "bringing democracy", the word "service" is used to lower the barriers of aggression. The military solution to conflict is death and destruction. That's not service. Call it what it is - the military."

Tom,
I fully understand your position. I have a few friends who spent time in the military, and they too hate being thanked for their time spent.

When I thank you for your "service", I am thanking you for all the times you followed orders, but did not want to. For going through basic, being sent overseas, taking fire, putting up with protesters in other countries, filling sandbags to try and stop a flood, and or what other possibly crappy or insane task may have needed to be done. "Service" is used as a broad encompassing term. You volunteered to do a very broad scoped job. A job most would not volunteer for. That is why you are being thanked.

This came from the net:

It would be interesting to find out if Arny Stieber has a similar attitude for the actions of those who are, or have, served in our communities as law enforcement officers, firefighters, or EMS personnel?

Considering that we have a volunteer military, those who enlist today are making an active choice to give of their of time, talent, and possibly their life if needed. With out an active draft, there is NO question in my mind that term "service" is properly used in today's military. I don't see how anyone can call it anything less if they truly understand that those serving in our military today are stepping up to the plate with a true willingness to defend our freedoms, our Constitution, and the life of Americans world wide.

Those who served in our military under the constraints of a draft also gave of their time, talents and sometimes their life. Should their giving be counted as anything less because they have served under slightly different circumstances? I think not.

Personally, I can't help but give credit to all that have served(and their families) from the Minuteman and Continental Soldier to our present day.

Thank you, all, for your honorable service.

I would like to thank all those who protected us while in the Military.

P.S. I don't think the focus should be on what words are used. Rather, one should consider the meaning behind the gesture not the just the words. Keep in mind those of us who have not served in the Military know next to nothing about it, so try to give us a little slack.

Thanks again.

To me, the thanks comes under the title of too little, to late.
It rings of "political correctness", and is overused to the degree of the word "awsome", and makes me cringe. Since returning from SE Asia in 1971 I've had exactly 2 people thank me and in both cases it surprised me. The first person said it in sincerity. As to the second person...see above.

I'm happy that todays military members don't have to endure the outright scorn & hatred that we did when we returned, but the popular "Thank you for your service" that you hear repeated time and time again each day (to me) smacks of incincerity.

I enlisted due to a sense of duty, because my Dad & 4 of his brothers served in WW2 (and was raised with this value). I don't expect thanks, nor want it. It was a choice I made on my own.

Ken

My son has twelve years in the "military" and plans on staying in. He has been through four trips to the Middle East, both Iraq and Afghanistan. He has a wife and two boys that he goes for long periods without seeing. I wasn't in the military; I have no idea what it gives or takes away from a person. I do know how hard it can be on a man or woman and their families to be separated for long periods especially when the man or woman is in a very dangerous situation. Yes this is the life he has chosen, it wasn't forced on him. On the other hand I have come to realize that all who are or have been in the military have dealt with these and other issues as well. It is for this reason that I offer my thanks. My thanks are sincere. I had no intention of starting such a debate and I apologize for any offense. Trust me, it won't happen again here or anywhere else.

Happy Veteran's Day to my son Brad!

Formerly 1st Battalion, 7th Marines (USMC)*

Formerly 82nd Airborne Division (US ARMY)*

* Two Tours in Iraq

Currently 4th Infantry Division (US ARMY) :usa

Back